WATER IS GREEN, GREEN, GREEN!!! Local pool store no help!

Re: WATER IS GREEN, GREEN, GREEN!!! Local pool store no help

Thanks, I know you are not trying to be mean. I read through everything numerous times and have printed things out as well. It's very overwhelming. I will have my husband post results when the kit arrives, hopefully tomorrow.

The test kit arrived, my husband got these results.
Fc 14ppm
Cc 1ppm
Tc 15ppm
T/a 160
Cya 60
Ch 240
Ph 7.5
I know the fc and ta are too high and am thinking the cya is not ideal. We haven't added anything for 2 days, have not been swimming in it and will not be all weekend. My husband says the water is still cloudy but doesn't look bad. Based on these results, what is my next step?

CYA is slightly high, but not a problem.
Ignore the TA and CH until your pool is clear.
pH is fine for now.

Focus on doing the Shocking Your Pool process until the water is clear and you have CC < 0.5 and pass the OCLT (see the link)

FYI, shock level for CYA of 60ppm is a FC of 24ppm (SEE you are not too high). So you need to maintain the FC ABOVE 24ppm while shocking. Use the poolcalculator to figure out how much bleach to be adding.

Ok, good, based on my research on pool school that is what I was thinking I was supposed to do. I had pretty much lost faith in my own ability to figure this out. THANKS!!!!

Honestly.....those numbers aren't bad at all. Most are wayyyyy worse off than that. As said before, start shocking at a 24FC until all clears up. Then you can work on the other details, but none will take much work.

My husbands Results this morning on the OCLT are FC 24.5 and CC .5. He says the water looks clear to him. Its windy but looks much better than yesterday! Now, do we just let the chlorine burn off on its own to the proper range?

To do the OCLT you have to test after the sun goes down and then before the sun comes up.

Did you do that? since you only posted 1 set of data I think you missed a step.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Oh, sorry. Yes, I forgot to post. Last night after the sun went down he added enough chlorine to bring it to shock level, waited 30 minutes took out the floater and tested water. Results last night were FC 25 and CC .5. This morning before the sun was on the pool he tested again. FC 24.5, CC .5. He says the water is clear. Much better than the day before. Do I need to do anything else to get the other levels in a better range? It has been very windy in OK. From what I understand, that may help lower my TA but could raise my PH? Is there something else I should work on improving based on the initial results when the test kit arrived? Do we just let the sun burn off the chlorine to a safe swim level?

From my reading on here as long as FC is at shock level or below and not below Min for you CYA level you are fine to swim.

One question and I assume you did, did you leave the floater out overnight as well. I assume you did, but just wanted to ask.

curlyfry22 said:
Another question I have is: The pool needs vacuumed. In most cases should We vacuum to waste? Is it ok to vacuum through filter now?

From my understanding Vacuum to waste is a good idea depening on if you are on water restrction or have high water prices. By vacumming to waste and not filter then you are not having your filter catch all the debris, instead is just goes out your waste line.

I am still out of town but my husband says the pool is looking great! Thanks everyone! I have never used the BBB method before. In maintaining the chlorine level do you recommend strictly liquid bleach or should I also keep chlorine tablets in a floater?

My chlorine level with a stabilizer of 60 should be 7. What exactly is considered maintaining that level? Do I keep it above and not let it drop below 7. My husband tested the FC yesterday and it was at 3. He added 2 large jugs (182oz.) of bleach. Not having used this method, I am not sure what's best?

You want to keep it between 5 and 9. Your level of 7 is a good medium point. With it dropping to 3 you give algae the chance to grow....but that doesn't mean it will. If the pool is clean and the CC is low you did good by adding more. Now go swimming. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.