Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Diving Board Crack

1. Back To Top    #1

Diving Board Crack

my diving board has a small crack in it. its not so much a crack-crack, but the fiberglass has a fold mark in it, ill post pics so you can see what i mean. anyways, is it repairable or do i have to replace the entire board? ive bounced on it, and the crack hasnt seemed to spread, i felt if a 200 lb guy could jump on it and nothing happen then in case a 30-50 lb kid jumped on it, it wont break on them.

30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise

2. Back To Top    #2
    i would say that its time to replace the board
    i am always afraid that a board will break(although i have never seen it happen)
    do you take it in for the winter and is there a fulcrum under it?

3. Back To Top    #3
    nope, have never moved it, and its never really been used to dive in, just got the pool to blue up. yes that is a fulcrum under it, it is about 8-10" off the ground, maybe even a foot.
    30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise

4. Back To Top    #4

I just got the bad news my board has some hairline cracks in it. The pool guy pointed them out to me. I would never have seen them. They just look like scratches. He won't put the board on that way but I am welcome to do it myself. He doesn't want the liability. So I'll be getting a new board. I wouldn't use yours if I were you.
    23000 gal. 18 x 36 IG vinyl
    Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5 hp. pump
    Jacuzzi CFR 100 cartridge filter
    AutoPilot Digital 220 SWG
    LaarsLite 250 gas heater

5. Back To Top    #5
    I think the strength is mostly in the wood core -- but with a crack, who knows what condition the core is in.... if a little water gets in there, it'll rot out quickly.

You should be able to replace the board and keep the mount...

Steve
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]