Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mallard Duck Living Near Pool - Water Treatment Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Mallard Duck Living Near Pool - Water Treatment Advice

There is a female mallard duck living in my backyard. For a few weeks, the male and female would stand by the pool and wash off in the water. Now, the female has built a nest in the backyard (and she has laid several eggs) and she occasionally swims and takes a bath in the pool.

Please let me know if I should be treating the water any differently. I've kept the chlorine level a bit higher than usual. It is a salt walt pool. Everything looks clear and tests within range. After the duck takes a bath, there is some dirt on the bottom of the pool, but it cleans off by the end of the day with the pool sweep. Should I add any additional chemicals, shock or chlorine? Is there is a problem with the duck using the pool? Thanks for your help.

-Mark

2. Back To Top    #2

Add 6PPM rubber duckies and make them feel at home
    IG Vinyl liner, 21,500G sport bottom, TR-60 sand filter, 3/4 HP Whisper Flow, BBB with 12.5% Liquid Chlorine

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    atomicpool,

Welcome to the forum. Duck advice is one of our specialties as you can tell from sefrlw's post.

If she's still laying (usually one a day for about ten days), you can remove the eggs and she'll most likely go away. Once she starts incubation (sitting on the nest all day) you'll be hard pressed to get rid of her and, in about 30 days, you'll have ten more to deal with. They may choose your pool to put the babies in but, far more often, they'll take them to a larger body of water and raise them there (You got a pond or creek nearby?)

Duck poop is not of my favorite swimming pool additives but I've probably swum in much worse over the years. As with any organics you don't want in your pool, extra chlorine is the answer. I've watched a lot of Mallards and wood ducks nest and hatch their babies in my pond.....it really very interesting.....the pair will demonstrate some amazingly strong "family" habits if you want to put up with the hassle of them being there. Good luck.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

That's even better than the mourning dove that has made a nest in one of my Mexican Fan palm trees by my pool. I'd love to see some pics of the ducks.

Craig
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5

Pics of Momma Duck in the Pool

Thanks for the advice. The rubbery ducky idea sounds good.

Here's a slideshow of momma duck in the pool and there are a few pics of her nesting spot. It is fun, so I'll wait it out and see what happens. I have some photos of the male and female together that I took a few weeks ago. I assume the male duck is long gone by now.

Duck Slide Show:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiltonlane ... 6739/show/

6. Back To Top    #6

Those are great pictures! I say, keep her there, shock your pool if desired, and see what happens. That's just too cool!

Craig
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

7. Back To Top    #7
    To discourage ducks, you can run pieces of fishing line etc. back and forth above the pool. Use enough so every 8 ft or so there is a string. It can be 8 or 10 feet in the air. This makes them very nervous about the area because they aren't sure they can fly away if they need to. It will usually run them off.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8
    Great pix! Looks like she's 'home'. Thanks for sharing.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    atomicpool,
    Welcome to the forum. Duck advice is one of our specialties as you can tell from sefrlw's post.
    Yes welcome!

Sorry guys just a bit of a smart ***** post. I just thought it was cute. I will stay on topic from here on out.

Will the fishing line work for bats also? We get dive bombed every night when it gets dark and would love to keep them away without hurting them.

Thanks
    IG Vinyl liner, 21,500G sport bottom, TR-60 sand filter, 3/4 HP Whisper Flow, BBB with 12.5% Liquid Chlorine

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry
    Sorry guys just a bit of a smart ***** post. I just thought it was cute. I will stay on topic from here on out.
    I think everyone took it in the spirit in which you intended it....I certainly did .......I think my post was the one that could have been (was) misinterpreted.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Get a dog! I have three siberian huskies and they keep any birds away from the pool.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: Pics of Momma Duck in the Pool

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpool
    Absolutely fantastic!

Thanks for sharing!

13. Back To Top    #13

great pics!!
    we actually have the same problem going on...for the past few weeks we keeping shooing away the male and female taking a nice swim on the pool cover (the pool drained down to the light, another issue)
    but, tonight we were all out there and here come the ducks and my husband says the ducks went behind the solar cover reel and are having some "duck fun". so I go and investigate and sure enough some wild duck love was going on

I did my best scary go away shoooo and they jumped/flew up and flew back into the pool and then I'm positive I got cussed out in duck (the female was really giving me a good quack)....of course you would think the dogs would be helping me out...not even their barks were scarying them away. I finally had to get the net pole and spash it on the water and away they went...I'm sure tomorrow I will walk outside and get pooped on by those ducks

gotta love spring...I'm sure it will be the squirrels next week.

Chris

40yr IG 20 x 40 gunite
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

14. Back To Top    #14

More duck pics

Here are some more pics. I took these a few weeks ago of the male and female in and by the pool, including some poop shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiltonlane ... 7844/show/

15. Back To Top    #15

With the little gift deposit the ducks left you on the cement, salt splash out will be the least of your worries
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"