I have a question about above ground pool liners

May 19, 2009
Southern Md
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Last summer our above ground pool was crushed by trees that fell during a hurricane.
After much thought, and cleanup that is still ongoing we just decided to replace the pool with an exact replica of what we had for now as we didn't want a huge investment into a pool because we could be moving in the next few years.
Anyhow...my question is about the color of the liner for the pool.
Originally, we went with a light color liner. It was nice but the pool might only get 6 hours of sun a day so it really never gets very warm. With this in mind, when we ordered the liner for the replacement pool we went with a dark blue liner in hopes that it would retain heat a little better than the light colored liner.
Anyone try this when they replaced their pool liner and see a significant change in their water temperture, or is this just wishful thinking??

Thanks,
Christine

My opinion: wishful thinking. There's too many variables to say that a darker liner results in X % increase in temp.

It's all about sunlight or sources of heat (solar, gas, etc). Keeping the solar cover off (if you use one) during the day might help a bit. With 6 hrs of sunlight one has to think that there isn't much drastic change possible without getting more sun (cutting trees, etc) or a source of heat.

Depending on the difference between the colors you might notice a little difference but I think Cramar is correct, it'll mostly be wishful thinking.

Diligent use of a solar cover will probably gain and retain you more heat than the liner will provide.

Oh well. I thought it couldn't hurt.
The trees are a a good and a bad thing.
The good part is they add privacy and are scenic.
The bad parts are, they can end up in your pool, crushing it.
We also had to go with a smaller pool because tree mess will always end up in your pool if you have it under the canopy. And the bigger the pool more cleaning.. And, digging up the roots from from clearing out trees years gone by was a huge amount to work to dig out by hand.... they were enormous oaks,I guess we are not that young anymore,lol. :-D
And....pool temperature
The solar cover, leave cover and reel were on the pool when it was crushed and we have not bought a new one for this pool yet. Which is still in the boxes on a pallet..
oh well!

Weather is simply too dynamic to make a comparison year to year, its impossible to change your liner to a darker colour and at the end of the year factually claim that it alone did one thing or the other. Wind, sun exposure, rain, day temp, night temp, solar cover usage, pump run time, number of days pool was open....it's would be impossible for all those things to be equal across 2 liners/summers and then deduce (with any accuracy) that the liner alone improved the temperature. The avg day temp could be 5% greater this summer, the amount of wind could be 5% stronger, rain could be 5% colder....etc etc.

Maybe a few strategically removed trees would add more sunlight?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.