Pump Question

StacyE

Apr 29, 2012
Delaware
Hello all

I am a real newbie here with the pool and trying to learn as much as I can. It was our first pool opening this weekend and have a question on the behavior of the pump. When shutting off the filter, water is rushing back into the pool through the skimmer closest to the pump. The water is rushing in hard enough to pop off the plastic top in the cement and flow over the cement deck. The filter was running fine and was shut on / off serveral times without issue before it started happening and was running at normal pressue when it happened, but now it is happening every time the filter is shut off. Any suggestions on what is wrong?

Thanks!

Most likely, air is getting into the filter. The air gets compressed when the pump is on, and then expands when the pump is turned off. As the air expands, it pushes water back through the pump and out the skimmers.

Try using the filter's air relief valve to vent the air from the filter. If the air keeps building up, then you have a suction side air leak, or other air admittance problem. Not all filters have an air relief valve.

Check the skimmer weirs (flapper doors) to make sure that they are not sticking. If they stick in the up position, then the skimmer will suck in air. Also, check the water level to insure that it is high enough to prevent the skimmers from sucking dry.

Note: Most filters have an internal air relief that clears the filter within a few minutes.

Yeah, I'm with JamesW, it sure sounds like you have a suction side air leak. Usually, you can see bubbles in the pump strainer basket lid when the pump is running......if you can see them, you have to fix that air leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.