New pool owner; cloudy blue water

Apr 28, 2012
Hi, we were given a used pool last August, so it was only up for a little over a month and I guess we did ok. However, upon opening this year it was a murky deep green. We started aerating then put some granulated shock/algicide and it was no longer green but is still a cloudy blue. I did read the instructions before posting but the only testing products we have are the strips and a 3-way test kit. Since the strips aren't accurate, suffice to say that all of the levels read normal except for a high level of bromine (although I don't have exact numbers). The pump and filter have been running non-stop 24/7 for over a week. We have been backwashing every day or two. We have been shocking 2 or 3 times a week. We tried algicide once more. We have used used a clarifier twice but have read in several places not to add this more than twice or else it may do more harm than good. We did have the water tested a couple of weeks ago at the pool store and, although I know the numbers are porbably not still valid, everything was within acceptable range then as well, except for slightly low alkalinity, which has since been corrected with baking soda. I did attempt the 3-way test kit prior to posting but the chlorine/bromine indicator turned much too dark to even be measured by the kit and it said that measurement had to be within the acceptable range before attempting to measure the pH, so I didn't bother. BTW...we are in the Piedmont Triad area of NC (central part of the state) and new sand was put in the filter in August when the pool was set up. We did use a sand filter cleaner. A lot of websites have said to vacuum to waste to get the large "stuff" out but then a lot have also said not to vacuum until you can see the bottom because you never know what's in there. Please help. I do intend to purchase a better test kit, but in the mean time, could someone point us in the right direction, as we seem to be already doing what most people say to in order to clear this problem up. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

Without a complete set of reliable test results, you are really just guessing and just as likely to have major problems as to have things go well. Without test results, about the only thing I can suggest you do is to do some reading in Pool School, see the link near the top right of every page. I especially recommend the section on how to shock your pool.

Hi msbudheavy and welcome to TFP! :)

Well you have two of the best here just post to help you.
For sure you need a better kit to test with, I got the TF-100 kit when I faced the same problem you have now, a little over 1 year ago. I did add the XL option with my kit. The link is in my sig. for the kits.
I knew I needed to learn to use it and with reading some posts here I would be testing a lot to help me clear my messy pool up.

Just follow the instructions here:
what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html

This is what I did and after posting my results from my pool after I got my kit.
I got a overwhelming response of posts helping me, I was a bit nervous, but my pool did exactly what it was told to do and was a truly a Trouble Free Pool all season!

I'll just say order your kit and just come here and read. Start with Pool School here:
pool-school/
Then read this:
turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

Order your kit, take pictures, read, come back post your results here in your thread post and we'll be back to help!

Chuck

Sorry to have been gone so long. Did not mean to ignore you guys. My mother passed away later that day so the pool has obviously not been my top priority of late. Here are the result I got from the pool store earlier this afternoon. I have still not gotten my test kit but will order one if I can just get this pool clear now since it's getting warmer. FAC 4; TAC 4; pH 7.4; TA 100; CYA 30; Ca Hard 110; TDS 400; Phosphates 100. The guy at the pool store told me to add more clarifier according to the "heavily clouded water" directions (10 oz.). I have been shocking every week except the week I was out of town. Plus I added 50% algicide last week as soon as we got back in town so I don't guess we should have algae. It is still a very cloudy blue. You can only see about 6 inches below the surface (if that much). We have been backwashing the filter once a week. The pressure on the filter is within the normal range. I am in the Piedmont Triad area of NC. I don't know how to post pics yet. I will poke around a bit and try to figure out how. Thanks in advance.

I have still not gotten my test kit but will order one if I can just get this pool clear now since it's getting warmer.
I have a dog in the fight in that I sell test kits but I have to comment that you have that in exact reverse order.

The test kits are designed to teach you to get your pool clear so you can stay out of the pool store and quit getting perhaps bad test results and certainly not very good advice.

You do not need clarifier and you do not need algaecide. You need to shock the pool properly by reading "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School.

Yeah, I've read enough not to listen to the pool store people. I wasn't planning on adding clarifier at all. I thought I was shocking properly but after reading that, I see I was not. I only added the algicide because we had been gone for over a week and it was a precautionary thing. I also shocked the pool since the auto chlorinator was naturally empty also. I know I don't know what I'm doing. I just wanted some quick numbers to post. I was actually going to buy a kit there at the store but I couldn't tell which one was the equivalent of the Taylor K-2006 (Leslie's). The only big ones weren't labeled very clearly and they were slammed. I guess that's what I get for going on a Saturday afternoon.

Attachments

• CloudyBluePool.JPG
    CloudyBluePool.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 132
msbudheavy said:
Yeah, I've read enough not to listen to the pool store people. I wasn't planning on adding clarifier at all. I thought I was shocking properly but after reading that, I see I was not. I only added the algicide because we had been gone for over a week and it was a precautionary thing. I also shocked the pool since the auto chlorinator was naturally empty also. I know I don't know what I'm doing. I just wanted some quick numbers to post. I was actually going to buy a kit there at the store but I couldn't tell which one was the equivalent of the Taylor K-2006 (Leslie's). The only big ones weren't labeled very clearly and they were slammed. I guess that's what I get for going on a Saturday afternoon.

Try vacuuming to waste before you dump all sorts of chemicals...i'd recommend buying a flock like "Sink and Sweep" (you can find at Target). You remove the skimmer basket, pour about 8 oz down, set the filter to recirculate. After 10 minutes put the basket back and continue to let the pool recirculate for about 2 hours. After that 2 hours are up, turn off your filter, and leave your pool alone for 18-24 hours. After 24 hours you should know exactly what is in your pool. It worked for me see the thread below...

oh-my-god-sink-and-sweep-cloudy-water-t43301.html

No way. Not going to vacuum until I can see the bottom. Could be a dead squirrel down there that would clog up my vacuum hose. I've heard horror stories. Have to clear the water up until I can see the bottom first.

You can probably get the T100 cheaper than the Leslie's kit and shipping is really quick. I had considered the Leslie's kit because there is a local store but the kit was $86 and it doesn't have all the stuff in the T100. I ordered the T100 and it was here in a few days. You could spend a bunch of money blindly but I think in the long run waiting on the kit will be the most cost effective plan and you will not cause any problems that you'll have to fix later. I agree with not vacuuming but you could take a leaf rake and get rid of some of the big stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
msbudheavy said:
No way. Not going to vacuum until I can see the bottom. Could be a dead squirrel down there that would clog up my vacuum hose. I've heard horror stories. Have to clear the water up until I can see the bottom first.

By applying sink and sweep to your pool and shutting off your filter for 18-24 hours, you will be able to see the bottom of your pool...flock is designed to clump all of the small particles together so they can drag to the bottom of the pool, hence the name sink and sweep...running your filter is making your pool cloudy, the fine particles are swiveling around, that is why sink and sweep tells you to cut of your filter for 18-24 hours...give it a try and let me know what happens, my thread in the last post should be proof enough...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.