Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper lubricant for o-rings

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper lubricant for o-rings

After getting estimates for opening my pool (~$500 including taking off cover, removing plugs, reconnecting heater & pump, initial vacuuming, and initial shock with chlorine), I think I'm going to do this myself. One question I have is what is the proper type of lubricant for the DE filter and pump o-rings? Is WD-40 appropriate or should I use a silicone based product?
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

2. Back To Top    #2
    O-rings should get a silicone based lubricant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Teflon based lubricants are ok also. My favorites are Magic Lube (teflon and Magic Lube II (silicone) by Aladdin. You can find it at a pool supply store since they are made for pool and spa use. I would stay away from some of the general purpose silicone spays and lubes because some of them do contain petroleum products which can destroy o rings.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Yeah I would suggest a Teflon based lube- definitely not WD40! I personally use magic lube on my customers equipment. I would suggest staying away from aqualube which after time turns into a gunky mess.

5. Back To Top    #5

I used MagicLube II on my pump, heater and plug (and vacuum) o-rings last season and I can't believe what good shape they looked to be in this past weekend when I opened. I used it again when I opened this year.
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by muss08
    Yeah I would suggest a Teflon based lube- definitely not WD40! I personally use magic lube on my customers equipment. I would suggest staying away from aqualube which after time turns into a gunky mess.
    Yup. It's also very very sticky. I've got a buddy in the pool service business who's fond of saying "if you get Aqualube on your truck it was probably time to get a new truck anyway"!
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman95
    Quote Originally Posted by muss08
    Yup. It's also very very sticky. I've got a buddy in the pool service business who's fond of saying "if you get Aqualube on your truck it was probably time to get a new truck anyway"!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Has anyone used "Super-Lube" grease on pool o-rings and pumps? I used it for all sorts of things on my sailboat. The company says it can be used for pool pumps and I have many tubes of it from when I went to boat shows and they would give it away..
    Harry
    Trilogy "Fiberglass" Pool,
    15x34 8900 gal.
    Pentair 1hp Super-Flo Pump
    Pentair CC100 Cartridge Filter, Pentair "Legend" Cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by HarryMichael
    Has anyone used "Super-Lube" grease on pool o-rings and pumps? I used it for all sorts of things on my sailboat. The company says it can be used for pool pumps and I have many tubes of it from when I went to boat shows and they would give it away..
    Harry
    Look out! I'm going to bump this 3 year old thread!

I know that Magic Lube is all the rage here, but I absolutely hate handling that stuff. It's good if you want to "paste" something into position and have some lubricating properties. But it seems a **** of a dirt attractant, and clean up is a nightmare.

I just used Super Lube on a Snap-On toolbox to free up the ball bearings that were varnished up by some **** that Snap-on used on them. This stuff is awesome and has been around for a long time. It is H1 rated and food grade. Easy to work with, stays where you put it, and makes things slick.

I just had a tube of Magic Lube get crushed so I don't want to buy anymore and am thinking about switching to Super Lube for all the Pool O-rings.

Anybody else use Super Lube or have any thoughts? This stuff is usually cheaper as well!
    http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-...se-ezp-49.html
    http://www.super-lube.com/files/pdfs...be_catalog.pdf
    14x30 PebbleTec(Caribbean Blue) 12,000 Gals BORAX
    Pentair Whiperflow 1 HP <<>> Pentair FNS Plus DE
    Pentair 5G Intellibrite w/Intellibrite Controller
    ROME Solarium 125 Heat Pump
    Kreepy Krauly <<>> Pentair 320 Feeder
    Hydraulics 101<<>>PUMP ED 101<<>>Florida Solar Panel Info<<>>TEST Kit Comparisons<<>>SLAM Your POOL

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: Proper lubricant for o-rings

SuperLube grease should be just fine. It's non-petroleum based, so it won't deteriorate the o-rings. Silicone and Teflon. What more could you ever want?
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Proper lubricant for o-rings

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    SuperLube grease should be just fine. It's non-petroleum based, so it won't deteriorate the o-rings. Silicone and Teflon. What more could you ever want?
    If I don't have to, I never want to go near Magic Lube for the rest of my Life!
    14x30 PebbleTec(Caribbean Blue) 12,000 Gals BORAX
    Pentair Whiperflow 1 HP <<>> Pentair FNS Plus DE
    Pentair 5G Intellibrite w/Intellibrite Controller
    ROME Solarium 125 Heat Pump
    Kreepy Krauly <<>> Pentair 320 Feeder
    Hydraulics 101<<>>PUMP ED 101<<>>Florida Solar Panel Info<<>>TEST Kit Comparisons<<>>SLAM Your POOL