Does this booster pump install look correct?

Dec 25, 2011
Charleston, SC
Hi. As it turned out our booster pump was doing more than leaking. It was not working. We had someone replace it with a new one. This install does not look correct to me though. When I look at other installs, they have hard pvc pipe. Does this look correct or should I have him redo it? If redone? How should it be done correctly?

Also, how can I tell if I have a GFCI installed? I am worried about that too. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0742.jpg
    IMAG0742.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMAG0743.jpg
    IMAG0743.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 172
Booster pump installations usually use flexible piping just like yours has. Like Jason said, the plumbing look good.

On the electrical; was the old booster pump hooked up with that wire? If it was then the installers just reused what was already there. Changing the electrical feed to the pump wouldn't have been in their scope of work. If you want it to be right you'll have to hire an electrician or DIY it. The booster pump electrical hookup should look similar to your main pump hookup.

This is exactly how ours is hooked up too... flexible hose and red clips. Doesn't seem to be a problem at all. However, I do agree with the other guys on the electrical cord though just laying out on the ground. Seems like alot of potential for something bad happening to that wire...

DMAN

That looks like UF cord running to the pump, if so it is suitable for underground burial, the depth will depend on your local codes. You could run it underground from the source then terminate it at the the pump to come out of the ground covered in conduit like your main pump is. The guys at you local box store or electrical outlet should be able to assist you with what you'll need. Though, if you are not real familiar with wiring and safety involved, you might be better off hiring it out since there are dangers involved to those using the pool and servicing the equipment if it's not done properly. I also don't see a bonding wire attached to the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.