Cloudy Water - Need Help

Ok I began to empty water from the pool, I noticed that if I was going to let out that much water then I might as well go all the way. I did some repair to the steps with Leslie's cement, replaced the light, I noticed that all the sediment in the water was from the walls of the pool, so I emptied the pool, acid washed the walls, rinsed the pool, and repainted the surface with three coats of insulx water-born paint, I cannot afford a re-plaster at this time. I let the paint cure for 7 days and now I have almost fully refilled the pool.

What would be the correct steps to ensure healthy water and chem levels from this point? I am just finally going to order a real test kit, can I get started with my wal-mart kit? all suggestions welcome......

Yes, get started with walmart kit.

With a painted pool, you should follow recommendations* for "vinyl" .

When the pool is full test and adjust pH and TA.

Then add about 2ppm chlorine & add CYA to about 30.

*With the pool painted, the CH level only needs to be 50ish or so.

Is your fill water municipal or well? If you have ever had a problem with metals you should also add a start up dose of sequesterant and continue with maintenance doses.

What is your location? city and state?

It would be helpful if you add your pool and equipment specs to your sig.
Go to User Control Panel (upper left under TFP logo), select Profile, then Edit Sig.
Be sure to include that your pool surface is painted. :wink:

How does your water look?

If it looks okay, it is time to get some chlorine in there before you have problems, probably best to use liquid chlorine/bleach. Use poolcalculator.com or the Chlorine/cya chart for recomended levels.

I would lower your ph down to 7.2 or so since it likely will keep rising due to your high TA. At some point you could follow the process to lower TA, but no need to worry about that quite yet. Get the other stuff started first.

Also start getting some cya in there by putting it in a sock and hanging it in front of a return. Here is the page for the recommended levels: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_levels.

Okay, you should add muriatic acid and lower the pH to about 7.2. This, over time, will take care of the high TA.

Don't worry about the CH, it is fine.

Add about 2ppm chlorine and enough CYA to get to about 30.

How does the water look?

Have you found the PoolCalculator.Com to calculate doses?

ETA: linen types faster :mrgreen:

ok I added liquid chlorine , and Muriatic Acid ...

Chlorine is 1 ppm
PH is aprox 7.3

this is swimmable ? will retest everything again and post for advice...

Water is crystal clear like drinking water.... dont have any cya yet so I floated some chlorine tabs for the moment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.