Running 2 pool heater

Jun 3, 2011
Hi all, I have a Hayward h150 150k btu heater and know someone that will sell me an identical h150 In Good shape for a really good price and was wondering if I can run both 150k btu heaters next to each other to heat the pool.
So it would be setup like 2 150k btu heaters running next to each other.
My thinking is should be fine to do but figured I better ask?
Thanks in advance!

Would you run them parallel or serial?

I imagine serial may add quite a bit of head loss and could overheat the water.

Parallel could actually lower your head loss due to the lower flow rates through each heater. Since the flow rate is lower, you would heat the water more ... assuming you still had enough flow rate that the heater does not shut off.

Are you just trying to heat the pool faster? Because it is certainly not going to cost less to run both.

the heater is from our old pool 18' round and have been holding onto it.
Our heater is about 5-6 years old and so is the one I am thinking of purchasing, both are in good condition.
Our current/new pool is an 18'x33
While the single 150k btu heated up our old pool nicely it just can't keep up with the new pool and was thinking maybe run both since I can get the other 150k btu heater cheap and it's in good shape.

Meant to add, not exactly sure what would be best as far as connection goes?
I have a Hayward 1.5 hp pump that came with the new pool and a 1 hp from the old pool that's in good shape.
So I would think the 1.5hp pump would be enuf to run everything but let me know what you guys think?
I have the pump and cartridge filter with the heater, I am thinking of getting and swg or the liquidator, I will get one or the other, just need to finish the deck 1st in order to stay out of the doghouse :)

The 1.5 HP pump should be enough to run both heaters in parallel as long as you don't have excessive restrictions to flow anywhere in the system.

You could run the heaters in series, but you would have to modify the controls to allow the first thermostat to control both heaters, as the second thermostat would be getting warm water from the first heater, which would throw it off. Also, the second heater would be at increased risk of scaling due to the higher temperatures, unless the CSI was kept extra low.

Note: I would think that a 150,000 Btu heater would be able to keep up, unless it wasn't working correctly, or the pool was uncovered and heated to a much higher temperature that the water would be without heating.

The 150k btu heater can keep up but takes a while to heat up the pool, we really don't run the heater much during the season, just looking to warm up the water in the spring and fall to extend the season. Like now my water is about 60 and were warm water swimmers :) so like it to be around 80* or so looking to warm it up 20-25* or so to make the water more comfortable.
You know turn the heater on in the morning and go swimming around lunch time is the idea :)
Thanks for all the replies, only reason I am really considering doing this is the heater is very reasonably priced and well worth the money but at the same time I dont want to waist my time ;)

JamesW said:
Another issue that you have to consider is if your gas service will handle the extra heater.

good point, i think i have a 3/4" gas line running out to the garage that also feeds the equipment pad, i will have to double check tomorrow but i think its all 3/4".
our garage is detached from the house and the equipment pad is next to the garage. its about a 30' run from the main coming into the house
how do i know if a 3/4" line is good enuf for running even 1 300k btu heater?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.