old pool with new plaster.

Oct 2, 2009
I just had my pool replastered.

And water has been in it for 3 days or so. I am following the builders recommendations and adjusting the pH to try to keep it between 7.4-7.8 and have been brushing every day twice.

here are the test results.
pH = 7.4
CH = 160-170
TA = 70
CC = 0
FC = 0
CYA = 0

The question i have is it seems that after 4 days or so i should add chemical to bring the Calcium Hardness up to 200 or so. Is that right? from further surfing on the net and reading around here, the primary thing to worry about in the first week or so is just that the pH stays within the 7.4-7.8

BTW its a Wet edge plaster finish

jblizzle said:
Not sure about the CH / pH questions, but I would think you should get some CYA and definitely some FC in that water to make sure nothing starts to grow already.

Have you read this:
pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

The pool builder says that i should not add any CYA and FC for a few more days. Out here in CA the water is still kind of cold (its 60F) outside right now.
Yes i did read the pool school page

But there is no mention when you adjust the CA/TA. As far as i can tell, i should do that in a few days. (thats what the pool builder sheet is implying to me)

Hmmm ... well it sounds like at least your builder gave you a sheet of recommendations (more than some it seems). Can you contact them for their recommendation regarding TA and CH, since they are the warranty supplier? I thought with new plaster these would both continue to rise naturally.

I do agree that pH is the most important thing to keep in check.

jblizzle said:
Hmmm ... well it sounds like at least your builder gave you a sheet of recommendations (more than some it seems). Can you contact them for their recommendation regarding TA and CH, since they are the warranty supplier? I thought with new plaster these would both continue to rise naturally.

I do agree that pH is the most important thing to keep in check.

I talked to the builder and he said just keep doing what i have been doing. the TA and CH are going to keep rising as the plaster ages.

I'll be adding CC and CYA latter this week.

Thanks for you guys help.

Demarco, just a word of advice, I reccomnend you follow the PB instructions untill he releases the pool to you... that way if any problems develop with the plaster he cannot blame it on you and the chemicals you added without his consent... :goodjob:

Yes, follow PB instructions to maintain warranty.

The main things that need attention while the plaster is curing is keeping the pH under control and brushing the entire pool daily. Maintaining the pH could require adding acid daily.

Fresh plaster raises the pH, TA, and CH levels rapidly for the first three or four weeks, and then more slowly for up to a year.

Because you are dealing with new plaster, rather than adding CYA and chlorine separately, you could use trichlor tablets in the skimmer or tablet feeder and run the pump 24/7 for the first several weeks. Being acidic, trichlor also helps slow the pH rise.

Further reading from National Plaster Council's start up card: http://www.npconline.org/assets/documen ... UpCard.pdf

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but what part of California do you live in, what size is your pool and what did it cost you for the replaster? This is something that's going to be in my near future and I have no idea what the cost might be. I know there are probably a lot of variables, but I'm just looking for a ballpark number. Thanks!

mxdad777 said:
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but what part of California do you live in, what size is your pool and what did it cost you for the replaster? This is something that's going to be in my near future and I have no idea what the cost might be. I know there are probably a lot of variables, but I'm just looking for a ballpark number. Thanks!

So i live in San Jose, The pool is a 18,000 gal pool. I did pretty much everything.

We replaced all of the decking, added drainage around the pool, re did the plumbing, new plaster, new coping and new tile.
That all cost about 37,000.

burketts pool plastering did it. They were not the cheapest (others were) but i would say that they were fantastic to work with. The workmen were very professional, and pretty much treated the job as they were working on there own house.

If you PM me i can give you more info and my email address if you like.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.