Baqua -> BBB conversion

Test and re-dose every half-an-hour to start now. The chlorine is getting ate up VERY quickly at the point. The more you can test and shock....the faster the process will go. All of this looks JUST like the conversion I went through. By Monday if all goes well you will start to see some MAJOR improvement.

Most important question however.....DID IT RAIN? My parents live in Ill and it seems like whatever weather you guys in the plains get....we get in Ohio 2 days later. I need about 2 inches of water in the pool BAD!

Well - My wife took it better than I thought! The pool was green, the back yard had a distinct bleach smell and she said "looks like we're on our way, right?" :mrgreen:

So, second dose went in, lost track of time so I measured at 1 hour
FC: 1
CC: 4
TC:5
Batch2_1.jpg

Batch2_2.jpg

Batch2_4.jpg

Batch2_5.jpg

Batch2_7.jpg

Backwashed, got a bit of green out:
Batch2_3.jpg

The skimmer was a whole bunch of nasty:
Batch2_6.jpg

Left for a couple hours to get some errands done with the family, and came back. Pressures were up 5psi levels were at:
FC:5
CC:7.5
TC:12.5
Actually higher than I expected them to be, but then again it's been very cool and cloudy, maybe it's not burning off? Added another dose for the night. Anyone up for a swim?
Batch2_8.jpg

ok, just finished my test this morning to tell how much I needed to dose (dang I love my TF100 - you guys were't kidding).

The numbers:
FC: 10
CC: 10.5
TC: 20.5
pH 7.2
T/A: 100
CH: 210

Adding a bit more bleach and then retesting in an hour. Based on other threads, I was expecting the chlorine to be used up at a MUCH faster rate than it is. From what I can tell pool is a slightly lighter green today (it's barely light out) but I'm guessing it will be like last night and once I add the bleach, the dark green comes back. Another side note, I kept worrying about Baqugoo and my pump pressures all night last night - but at each check - nothing. We went up only 3-4 psi overnight.

ok, off to dose - I'll snap some more photos today and keep everyone posted.

You want, as one of your goals, to get the CC's test result down to .5ppm or less. That will take keeping your TC up where it is.

Do you have any CYA in the pool? I don't think so, but please confirm.

What is your psi when the filter has been backwashed?

You are doing very well!

If I am following correctly, it looks like FC is only falling a little bit overnight. Assuming I am understanding that correctly, you might want to slow down on bleach additions during the day. Once chlorine is mostly holding overnight, you are losing most of your chlorine to sunlight. At that point it is more efficient to add chlorine only in the evenings/night. Adding during the day will speed up the process a bit, but it will also use a great deal more total chlorine than adding only in the evenings.

radefeld said:
nd then retesting in an hour. Based on other threads, I was expecting the chlorine to be used up at a MUCH faster rate than it is. From what I can tell pool is a slightly lighter green today (it's barely light out) but I'm guessing it will be like last night and once I add the bleach, the dark green comes back.

It should start to be the opposite. Your pool should start to get bluer and bluer. Its a very good sign that your pool held as much of the FC as it did, and as Jason stated maybe you could save some cash by only adding at night some. You're right too....that skimmer looks NASTY!

Don't forget to start cleaning all of the ladders, toys, and pool equipment with bleach while you wait. I know the pool ladder on our pool had a TON of gunk on it.

duraleigh said:
You want, as one of your goals, to get the CC's test result down to .5ppm or less. That will take keeping your TC up where it is.

Do you have any CYA in the pool? I don't think so, but please confirm.

What is your psi when the filter has been backwashed?

Do you have any CYA in the pool? No I don't have any CYA in there currently.
What is your psi when the filter has been backwashed? My pressures usually run at a minimum of 20psi and I normally backwash at 30psi or so. I went ahead and backwashed the first time at 25psi yesterday (When I took the photo).

JasonLion said:
You are doing very well!

If I am following correctly, it looks like FC is only falling a little bit overnight. Assuming I am understanding that correctly, you might want to slow down on bleach additions during the day. Once chlorine is mostly holding overnight, you are losing most of your chlorine to sunlight. At that point it is more efficient to add chlorine only in the evenings/night. Adding during the day will speed up the process a bit, but it will also use a great deal more total chlorine than adding only in the evenings.

ok, good to know. I'll slow down on the chlorine until the evening. The day is cool and cloudy but as I've read on the board before, you still get sunlight through the clouds that will pull out the chlorine.

I like your idea of backwashing @ 25psi instead of 30. We are now suggesting to backwash/clean anytime your psi exceeds 20-25% of normal so that's just about right.

Jason suggestion of dosing the Chlorine at night is really a good one. You could perhaps add one VERY early morning dose if you are an early riser and then wait until the direct sun is off the pool that evening before adding another.

Stay the course. The process can get frustrating but you are on the right path.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Leebo said:
radefeld said:
nd then retesting in an hour. Based on other threads, I was expecting the chlorine to be used up at a MUCH faster rate than it is. From what I can tell pool is a slightly lighter green today (it's barely light out) but I'm guessing it will be like last night and once I add the bleach, the dark green comes back.

It should start to be the opposite. Your pool should start to get bluer and bluer. Its a very good sign that your pool held as much of the FC as it did, and as Jason stated maybe you could save some cash by only adding at night some. You're right too....that skimmer looks NASTY!

Don't forget to start cleaning all of the ladders, toys, and pool equipment with bleach while you wait. I know the pool ladder on our pool had a TON of gunk on it.
You're 100% right Leebo, it's definitely less green than it was yesterday!

Day2_1.jpg

Day2_2.jpg

When you say clean the ladder with bleach, how do you recommend to do it? Just a bucket, some diluted bleach and a brush (and of course old clothes?) Also, what about the pool hoses, vacuum ends, etc? should I just break out a storage tub and some bleach water and soak it all for a bit?

radefeld said:
Leebo said:
When you say clean the ladder with bleach, how do you recommend to do it? Just a bucket, some diluted bleach and a brush (and of course old clothes?) Also, what about the pool hoses, vacuum ends, etc? should I just break out a storage tub and some bleach water and soak it all for a bit?

I took a 5 gallon bucket of water and brought it up to shock levels ( I just used a cup of bleach...overkill I know but oh well) and scrubbed every spot I could of the ladders. This let me get under the steps and in every spot I could. Also take off the caps and pour some of the water inside of the ladder....put the caps back on and let it sit for a few minutes. Overkill again I'm sure...but it's not like it was alot of effort or chemicals.

As for the pool hoses and such......I just took the pool up to a high end shock level at the early stages and tossed all the equipment I could think of into the water. Let them sit there for a few hours making sure to "stir" them up some as I went. Just keep a close eye on the FC levels as these could (although not likely) take away some of the chlorine.

Looks MUCH better today! Only a few more days and the kids will LOVE you....and the wife can buy new shoes with the cash you'll save.

ok everyone, here's the video. I tried to keep it fairly true to real time so new folks know what to expect. You might also notice is available in high def (720p) so you can see all the good details at full screen- Enjoy!

[youtube:3u7igp5w]lAzjoDay_Cw[/youtube:3u7igp5w]

Leebo said:
I took a 5 gallon bucket of water and brought it up to shock levels ( I just used a cup of bleach...overkill I know but oh well) and scrubbed every spot I could of the ladders. This let me get under the steps and in every spot I could. Also take off the caps and pour some of the water inside of the ladder....put the caps back on and let it sit for a few minutes. Overkill again I'm sure...but it's not like it was alot of effort or chemicals.

As for the pool hoses and such......I just took the pool up to a high end shock level at the early stages and tossed all the equipment I could think of into the water. Let them sit there for a few hours making sure to "stir" them up some as I went. Just keep a close eye on the FC levels as these could (although not likely) take away some of the chlorine.

Looks MUCH better today! Only a few more days and the kids will LOVE you....and the wife can buy new shoes with the cash you'll save.

Great - sounds like a plan. I'll get those cleaned up today :)

The pool is looking much better today and I'm feeling extremely confident on my abilities on the testing procedures. Honestly, when I was going to the pool shop - it felt a bit "Black Box" - the knowledge and ability to control your own pool destiny is an amazing feeling. When I think about how much I'm going to save at the pool store, the fuel to get there (nearly 25 miles away and I was going at least twice weekly if not more) and the time, his forum will make my summer significantly different than last year - and hopefully cheaper!

I 100% agree with your "Black Box" feeling. The trip for me is only about 10 miles each way and no matter what I did when I walked into the store it was a $100 bill. I felt like I "got smart" a few years ago when they started a 30% off pre-season sale. I would buy up what I thought were all the chemicals I would need for the year....only to find out by mid-July I was returning to buy more. I was able once to purchase enough for the entire year....to the tune of almost a grand. The last two months of last year I think we used maybe $60 worth of bleach to keep the pool cleaner than they ever had with Baquacil. So far in opening the pool this year (it's not clear however) I think we've used about $20 worth of 10% chlorine and have only had the pump running maybe a total of ten hours (water level too low.....please rain :D) and it's turning colors towards the blue side every day.

ps....your video is set to private. We cant' see nothing. :( You Tease!!

Smykowski said:
Video is marked as private...can you change the settings?

Leebo said:
I 100% agree with your "Black Box" feeling. The trip for me is only about 10 miles each way and no matter what I did when I walked into the store it was a $100 bill. I felt like I "got smart" a few years ago when they started a 30% off pre-season sale. I would buy up what I thought were all the chemicals I would need for the year....only to find out by mid-July I was returning to buy more. I was able once to purchase enough for the entire year....to the tune of almost a grand. The last two months of last year I think we used maybe $60 worth of bleach to keep the pool cleaner than they ever had with Baquacil. So far in opening the pool this year (it's not clear however) I think we've used about $20 worth of 10% chlorine and have only had the pump running maybe a total of ten hours (water level too low.....please rain :D) and it's turning colors towards the blue side every day.

ps....your video is set to private. We cant' see nothing. :( You Tease!!

Sorry Everyone - Just updated the video to be public - worked just fine for me (wait I was logged in :oops: Ha!)

Leebo: we must have been going to the same pool place, ours was a $100 visit too! Love my Pool place, the people in there are super friendly, but it was always need to raise ph or drop this, or change that, or adjust up, then down, then back. I was a first year pool owner trying to learn as I went. My issue through the year was that it didn't feel they were working in my best interest (strangely I still work on the idea that businesses are there to fulfill their customers best interest - the better they do, the more money they make)

This year will be different - I've learned more in the last couple weeks reading this board then I have in the last year of maintaining my pool... <- there's a quote for your homepage JasonLion :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.