Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FYI on Muratic Acid at Lowes

1. Back To Top    #1

FYI on Muratic Acid at Lowes

I went to Lowes to buy some Muriatic Acid and was surprised to find that not only had it gone up in price from $8.49 for two gal. to over $9.50 for two gal. But even more disappointing is that fact that they are now carrying the "14.5%" hydrochloric acid instead of the "29%" hydrochloric acid that they usually carry. There were a few beat up boxes of the old stuff on the ground next to the pallet of the 14% stuff and I grabbed those up (they even rang up at the old price!).

I have checked a few other Lowes and they also had the 14% junk. Looks like I'll be getting my acid from the pool store from now on. I had heard that last year Home Depot started carrying the 14% stuff and now it looks like Lowes has followed suit. Just thought I would pass this along as an FYI to anyone that gets there acid at Lowes.

2. Back To Top    #2
    That's interesting. I bought a box of MA at Lowe's last weekend. I did notice the price went up, but didn't think to check the 'strength'. I just went and looked and it's 31.45%.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

3. Back To Top    #3
    I believe that muriatic acid concentrations are changing in some areas and staying the same in other areas. It may have to do with how government regulations in some areas are interacting with insurance issues but I don't have any confirmation of that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    I'm in California and all the Lowes I've checked have the 14.5%. It wouldn't surprise me if it was only California area stores that were doing this. I sure love the weather here, but other than that Cali pretty much sucks.

5. Back To Top    #5

My Lowes in Tucson Arizona only carries the 14.5% also.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6
    lowes doesnt have the best price to begin with, its $15.99 for 4 gal while lowe's was, as you said, ~$8.50/2gal. may not be much, but enough that i still buy from the pool store, just like DE, its $15/15lbs at home depot/lowes and $14/25lbs at the pool store.
    30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise

7. Back To Top    #7
    I just got back from a Dublin, CA Lowes and they still have the 29% Kemtek Muriatic Acid @ $7.49/2 Gallons. Given what everyone has experienced, I picked up a few extra boxes to last me the year just in case.

So it doesn't look like a state wide mandate or at least not yet. Home Depot had made the change last year so it could just be the local store making the decision to go with lower concentration acid and maybe it has to do with the insurance cost.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8
    lowes here the acid is 31.45%
    18X36 rectangular inground 30k gal
    3ft shallow 9ft deepest
    sand filter hayward S220T v
    vinyl liner
    main drain deepest end of pool
    pinnicle hpp 1HP pump
    1 skimmer
    test kit taylor k-2005
    Snow Hill, NC

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by oasisdave
    I sure love the weather here, but other than that Cali pretty much sucks.
    I know I wouldn't live there. Cali is nuts in every way that matters.
    Wilbar 12 x 17 Buttress Free AG (~4400 Gal?)
    Hayward 225 sq ft cartridge filter
    1/2 HP Pentair Whisperflo
    Liquidator chlorine feeder
    Pool Rover Jr.
    BBB - it's the way to go

10. Back To Top    #10

Why do you guys need so much acid? With acid rain I almost never have to add acid to my pool.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

11. Back To Top    #11
    New plaster usually needs acid for the first year. SWGs and waterfeatures also tend to create acid demand (by increasing aeration).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbinster
    Why do you guys need so much acid? With acid rain I almost never have to add acid to my pool.

I have an SWG so my PH tends to run high, hence the need for the acid.

13. Back To Top    #13
    still get the 31.xx% at lowes here also
    21,000 gal Fiberglass (Indoor)

14. Back To Top    #14

Home Depot here has the 31.45% for $9 and change for 2 gallons.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

15. Back To Top    #15

My Lowe's also has the good stuff.

Why does it always come in a 2 gallon pack? Can somebody offer an explanation for that?

Craig
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

16. Back To Top    #16
    Ace Hardware is another place to check for the acid. The ones here in N FL carry the full strength stuff.

17. Back To Top    #17

Ace had 31% for $5.99 and pool store had it for 3.99...
    Harry
    Trilogy "Fiberglass" Pool,
    15x34 8900 gal.
    Pentair 1hp Super-Flo Pump
    Pentair CC100 Cartridge Filter, Pentair "Legend" Cleaner