Newbie, based in Italy, with green algae problem

OK, it's ordered, and works out at around €60 shipped to Italy, so how come the Spanish want so much more?? We will see how long it takes to get here. I had some problems registering and I must say their support people were very quick in sorting it out for me. Will let you know how I get on with it when it arrives. This is the shipping method:

USPS Priority Mail International Small Flat-Rate Box

Any idea how quick/slow that service usually is?

I think the chemical would fit into a small flat rate box, but not the case itself.
Not really. In the box there is no chance whatsoever. Out of the box,there is very little chance.....virtually impossible, I would say.

Let's hope they send the K-2006 (which is a very good kit) but in a larger box.

Here is their reply, I told them some of my "American friends" were concerned it wouldn't fit into a small flat rate box.

"They are correct, it will not. For some reason, our site gave you that option. I had to send it via USPS First Class and the true shipping cost was $24.65."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We would really like to be able to ship Internationally. We don't because, in many countries, the kits are considered "hazardous material" (although there really is nothing dangerous about them) and as such, cannot legally be sent via USPS.

That said, it may just sail right through to you and you will be on your way to a clear pool.

So how come they can ship them from Spain to Italy?
I have no idea and therein lies a large part of the problem. Each country has different rules for shipping and accepting international packages.

Our small company could NEVER begin to keep up with the rules so we would never know what is legal and what is not.

To get around this, many companies use expediters who are in the international shipping business and, for the most part, certainly know more of the regs than we would. However, an expediter doesn't do that for free. With the relatively small value of our shipments, the shipping cost is almost always pretty outrageous. Even then, getting refills (in other words supporting what we sell) becomes impossible because of the shipping costs.

OliveGrove said:
jblizzle said:
That is interesting about the salt water pools being illegal for public access ... anyone have an idea why? Just does not make logical sense to me ... other than maybe the lower FC levels required ... but obviously that seems ignorant.
This is Europe. I don't know why, but I am sure I have read it somewhere - will try to research it.
Ok, the reason is obvious, if 4-5 families of 4people turn up the puny amount of chlorine generated is simply not enough to keep up the sanitiser level to the legally required amount whereas a chlorine dosing system can quickly supply the correct amount. Public pools could mean anything multi occupancy up 200 in a commercial setup.

Also in Europe there are regulations for a % of fresh water per bather to be changed out per day (suggest you check the regulations for Italy) that would reduce your CYA figure in a reasonable time.

Manually dosing of multi occupancy pools is also not allowed in some European countries it must be done via a dosing system, You have lots of option there in Italy Seko being just one.

Test kits similar to the highly desirable TFP one are available but not as cheaply and it's not "us" that has the shipping problem it's the "U.S."

As you are bordering France you should be able to find sources of chlorine in the domestic builders (DIY) shops, usually 10% sodium hypochlorite "ipoclorito di sodio"
Along with hydrochloric acid for pH correction.

teapot said:
Ok, the reason is obvious, if 4-5 families of 4people turn up the puny amount of chlorine generated is simply not enough to keep up the sanitiser level to the legally required amount whereas a chlorine dosing system can quickly supply the correct amount. Public pools could mean anything multi occupancy up 200 in a commercial setup.

Also in Europe there are regulations for a % of fresh water per bather to be changed out per day (suggest you check the regulations for Italy) that would reduce your CYA figure in a reasonable time.

Manually dosing of multi occupancy pools is also not allowed in some European countries it must be done via a dosing system, You have lots of option there in Italy Seko being just one.
I guess we are not really a public pool though. We only have the one apartment rented out, so I guess there are never more than 6 people using the pool, usually we have families of 4. We don't use the pool ourselves when the apartment is occupied.

teapot said:
As you are bordering France you should be able to find sources of chlorine in the domestic builders (DIY) shops, usually 10% sodium hypochlorite "ipoclorito di sodio"
Along with hydrochloric acid for pH correction.
Not really bordering France, we are in Puglia, just about as far from France as you can get in Italy. We are getting ipoclorito di sodio 14% from a local chemical wholesaler though, so that will help through time. Will give the filters a much longer backwash than usual each time, that should get rid of some of the water through time.

OK so I tested CYA and it is way off the scale - I am guessing around 200. Am I best doing the test again with half pool/half tap water to try to get a more accurate reading? I had FC of 3.5ppm and CC of 4ppm. Didn't do any more tests as I thought I would get some guidance from you guys first. emptying 50-60% of my pool water is not an option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.