Newbie, based in Italy, with green algae problem

chem geek said:
OliveGrove said:
I have not so far been able to locate a K-2006 without ordering from USA.
See if you can find a Palintest Pooltester SP 315C test kit. It will do everything you need except that the chlorine test is DPD. I think they only sell their FAS-DPD test in the U.S. though you can ask them about that.
I don't believe it - that company is based 15 miles from where I used to live in the UK. I was there in February. I will give them a ring tomorrow and see if they can send one to Italy for me. If they can't they can send one to my daughter, who will forward it to me. Many thanks!

OK, after some more time in Pool School I think I have discovered that as my pool gets constant sun, all day (at least most days), I need to keep the CYA level a bit higher than the 30-50ppm suggested. Maybe more like 80ppm. So OK, my levels are still too high, but with the backwashing and topping up needed whilst shocking I may get the levels down in a reasonable time scale. The only time I will ever use dichlor again is if I need to increase the CYA level for any reason.

I notice Palintest do electronic testers, some of which can be connected to a PC. Does anyone use anything like this?

More information: I've just been down to the pool and water is much cleaner this morning - I can see the bottom, although it is still a bit cloudy. I can also see a few settled areas of algae so as soon as the horrible rain and gale subside I will go down and do some more brushing. The water no longer seems to be green though.

Can you just check my liquid chlorine calcs please, before I go off to buy some tomorrow. I used the pool calculator so I think they are right, but just need to run them by someone else to be sure.

Current chlorine level 4ppm (as best I can measure at moment), need to raise to at least 32ppm to shock and 12 ppm to maintain levels, pool (including holding tank) is 440000 litres.

So approx. 200 litres of 6% chlorine to shock, plus more to maintain it. Once finished shocking I will need 7 litres to raise the level by 1ppm.

Does this mean I could potentially be looking at using around 7-10 litres per day to maintain levels?

Thanks a lot for your continuing help guys. When I get time from sorting this out I will try to put all the information needed in my signature.

Once finished shocking I will need 7 litres to raise the level by 1ppm.
Yep, that's what I get, too.

Does this mean I could potentially be looking at using around 7-10 litres per day to maintain levels?
Well now, the average pool uses about 2 to 2.5ppm FC daily, so I think you are figuring too low. The amount needed to maintain FC depends on lots of variables. Could be more or less.

We wish you had found us 4 years ago, too, but we're glad you're here now! Your pool will thank you over and over again :goodjob:

More pics! We love 'em and can't get enough. Hopefully we'll see some of the whole huge pool! :-D

Don't forget the holding tank!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like you are getting a pretty good grasp of how the chemistry works in your pool.

Didn't you say earlier that you had access to 10% liquid chlorine? Have you check the price on it vs the 6% bleach? The prices of this stuff seems to vary wildly, if the 10% was a similar cost per ppm of FC, then you would have to haul fewer bottles.

+1 on the pictures!!!

OK, here are a couple of photos I took a couple of hours ago with my phone. The holding tank is below ground, so not a lot to see really. The netting is to keep the olives and leaves out of the pool, and also provides privacy from next door. At least it did before the strong winter winds tore it. Our gardener has some new, stronger stuff to replace it with, once these pesky winds die down. The circular part is a 6 meter diameter 60cm deep children's pool, which is frequented more often by parents than their children :)

Attachments

• 20120409_175741 small.jpg
    20120409_175741 small.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 20120409_175829 small.jpg
    20120409_175829 small.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 118
jblizzle said:
Sounds like you are getting a pretty good grasp of how the chemistry works in your pool.

Didn't you say earlier that you had access to 10% liquid chlorine? Have you check the price on it vs the 6% bleach? The prices of this stuff seems to vary wildly, if the 10% was a similar cost per ppm of FC, then you would have to haul fewer bottles.

+1 on the pictures!!!
We're off to see our friendly chemical supplier in the morning, so will report back what we are able to get. The 10% was purely from memory from a couple of years ago, may have been a bit more, maybe a bit less, but I think I can work out the quantities of stronger stuff I would need versus the 6% bleach.

Nice pics!

We're off to see our friendly chemical supplier in the morning, so will report back what we are able to get.
Are you going to check on the possibility of adding a saltwater chlorine generator? I think Chem Geek mentioned it a while back. Just wondering.

With a pool that large (okay, huge!) , as Jason mentioned, there is going to be a lot of jug hauling.

The holding tank is below ground, so not a lot to see really.
Okay, but I am now trying to imagine what it would look like to have something more than twice the size of my pool underground! :shock:

When you get some time, please add your pool and equipment specs in your signature.
Go to User Control Panel (upper left under TFP logo), select Profile, then Edit Sig.
Also, if you don't mind, please add the size in liters and gallons :wink: Thanks!

Butterfly said:
Nice pics!

Thank You

We're off to see our friendly chemical supplier in the morning, so will report back what we are able to get.
Are you going to check on the possibility of adding a saltwater chlorine generator? I think Chem Geek mentioned it a while back. Just wondering.

Keep talking about it, but as we rent out an apartment in our house to tourists not sure if it is legal here. I know salt water pools are illegal in France if available to the public, and I think that is the case here too.

With a pool that large (okay, huge!) , as Jason mentioned, there is going to be a lot of jug hauling.

Thinking of getting our own liquid chlorine tank installed if we can find somewhere to hide it near to the pool :lol:

[quote:14mkv344]The holding tank is below ground, so not a lot to see really.
Okay, but I am now trying to imagine what it would look like to have something more than twice the size of my pool underground! :shock:

When you get some time, please add your pool and equipment specs in your signature.
Go to User Control Panel (upper left under TFP logo), select Profile, then Edit Sig.
Also, if you don't mind, please add the size in liters and gallons :wink: Thanks![/quote:14mkv344]
Will do. May have to be later in the week as we have lots of inside building work going on at the minute.

That is interesting about the salt water pools being illegal for public access ... anyone have an idea why? Just does not make logical sense to me ... other than maybe the lower FC levels required ... but obviously that seems ignorant.

jblizzle said:
That is interesting about the salt water pools being illegal for public access ... anyone have an idea why? Just does not make logical sense to me ... other than maybe the lower FC levels required ... but obviously that seems ignorant.
This is Europe. I don't know why, but I am sure I have read it somewhere - will try to research it.

Just don't call it a saltwater pool ... it is a chlorine pool where the chlorine is generated from salt :mrgreen:

ETA: I wonder if you are renting out a room, if that would make it fall under a "public" pool ... seems pretty private to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.