Help with BBB

linen said:
I am getting 203 ounces of 6% bleach for a step from 0 to 7 FC using 60 ppm cya.

I am getting 44 ounce of 32.45% MA to move ph from 8.2 to 7.5.

I used 14000 for pool volume.

Ditto ... although he meant 31.45% MA ... stop trying to type so fast and beat me :wink:

Oh, I think I know what you may have done. You have to fill in ALL the Now numbers, but you only need to fill in the Target numbers for what we are interested in.

I think you left the TA at 100 (default) which gives the 24 oz of acid ... you need to put your Now TA to 200 and fill in the rest as well.

And it looks like you have your Target of FC set to 4 (which might be due to not having the correct entry for CYA now).

I will of course go with your suggestions. i will keep testing tomorrow (got a half day) and post what I find. can't thank you enough for this. I have a couple of neighbors wgo are watching closely at what I am doing with your help.

Make sure you can reproduce our calculations as the next time you test, you will enter your new numbers in the Now and see what it needed to get to target.

For a few days you will need to keep an eye on the pool and see how much FC you are loosing each day. If it seem high, you may need to shock the pool to kill anything that started to grow in the few days you did not have FC. In fact, you may want to target a FC of 9ppm just too make sure it does not drop too much between tests.

Alright....I have all weekend to get this going correctly. I will test again shortly and post. Other than bleach and stabalizer what else do I need to have on hand? I cannot find the pH lowering chemical (muriaic acid) at Lowes or Wal-Mart. Is this something I need to get at a pool shop?

Usually HD and Lowes have the acid, either in the pool area and sometimes in another place (painting area?). Here I think it is actually cheap to buy from the pool store.

You should not need any more stabilizer as your level is good. Just:
1. Test pH and FC
2. Adjust the pH
3. After 30-60 minutes verify pH
4. Add bleach to between 5-9ppm (never allow it to be less than 5ppm)
OR
if your water is starting to cloud or you see any green, then you would want to go through the shock process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you sure the containers were 3 lbs each and not 4? The hth brand is 4 lbs I think and the aquachem might be 3 lbs. 8 lbs of stabilizer would have gotten you to 70 ppm. The recommended range is 30-50 ppm. 70 ppm is a little high, but you can work with it...you just need to keep your FC always above 5 ppm.

Yep, 70 is a little high for CYA. But, you can work with it.

As stated, just keep your FC between 5 & 10, and never below 5.

Please add your pool and equipment specs to your sig.
Go to User Control Panel (upper left under TFP logo), select Profile, then Edit Sig. :wink:

When you get time, post a pic of your pool for us :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.