Pool Open - first water test

Mar 15, 2012
Wichita, KS
I opened my pool on 3-31-12 and have started adding DiChlor (I have a 5 pak) and PolyQuat Algaecide. I received my TF-100 test kit and results will follow. I plan to work with the calculator some more but wanted a little advice because the water is a little cloudy after very little kid swimming. We also just upgraded to a 2500gph Intex pump/filter. I know that as soon as my CYA comes up I will need to switch to liquid chlorine, I have that ready. Thanks in advance, you are a very helpful group.

pH 7.2
FC 16
CYA less than 20
CC 0
CH 150
TA 70

First thing I see is that your FC is pretty high for a CYA of 20 ... not sure swimming is a good idea above a FC shock level of 10 if your CYA is indeed 20 (at least you realize it is going to rise with the use of the DiChlor).

Have you calculated how much your CYA is going to rise with each pack? Are they 1 lb bags:
Each will raise FC by 11, CYA by 10!!! and lower pH by 0.42!!!

May want to add borax with each bag to counter the pH drop and maybe not use all 5 bags or your CYA may get high.

Since you are cloudy, it may be a good idea to do an overnight chlorine loss test to determine if anything is using your FC when the sun is not out.

If you see a loss > 1ppm you may want to go through the shock process (using bleach) so you are good to go as the weather warms up.

EDIT: And there is no need to use the Algaecide ... return it if you can.

I have two bags of DiChlor left, I will chill out on adding due to the higher FC numbers. I am still pretty overwhelmed at this point, want to get the CYA up and let is settle. I will temper the DiChlor with Borax, I added some last night as I want to get the pH up off of 7.2

Thanks for your quick advice!

Bill

I have a question.

As I work with the Pool Calculator and read some about Borates, I see that Borate levels could make pets sick. Should I be testing for Borates, I have added some Borax to raise my pH and I don't want to add too much.

Lowering the Borate level requires draining water, so can i assume that adding Borax to raise the pH is good practice in the beginning, but not something I should do continually?

There are many discussions about the effects of Borates on pets. It's not really an issue unless the animal gets all of it's drinking water from the pool every day. Search for some of Richard's (Chem Geek) post on the subject.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.