Pentair Intelliflo Pump Priming Alarm

Bama Rambler said:
It appears the my worries about the filter being backwards is unfounded. That's a good thing. It's the "Inlet" and "Outlet" labels that were screwing with me.

It appears that in the last pic of your plumbing is correct.
Thanks. I'm confused about the plumbing because I read in a few places that this filter has to be plumbed in like a "sand" filter not a DE filter. Mine is plumbed in as a DE filter as the bottom outlet is to waste. When I pull up the slide valve and turn on the pump, it empties to waste like a backwash. The thread I referenced seems to confirm it is to be installed like a sand filter. I searched all over and can't find a pic of an installed Quad DE although I found that people use a sand valve instead of the slide valve. Wish Pentair had better install instructions. Seems ridiculous that a company doesn't provide clear instructions for installing such a filter. Thanks.

Specifically relating to the solar; when you have solar selected the flow would go out the bottom of the three way valve, through the solar panels and back through the check valve "2". There would be no flow from the side of the 3-way valve to "6" so there would be no opposing flows.

It's possible, but highly unlikely, that the solar return is allowing air to enter the system when it's running as the pump pressure would be forcing the check valve closed and if it was leaking it would leak water out at the roof.

There's still the matter of how the rubber pieces got into the Caretaker and whether they clogged up anything.[/quote]

When you open the filter is the DE on outside of the cartridges?

I'm back to confused about the proper flow through the filter.

The labels on the filter indicate that the flow from the pump should go in the top port and out the bottom port to the pool. :scratch:

Bama Rambler said:
When you open the filter is the DE on outside of the cartridges?
No, it is on the inside...always has been since installed. Matter of fact, my quad 60 was replaced by the Pentair rep himself years ago because it had blown out all 4 cartridges but was still under warranty. Leads me to believe along with this comment that it is plumbed backwards. (sorry can't let you try to circumvent the language filter)

Note: Quad DE filters are plumbed like a sand filter -- in reverse to a regular DE filter.

Bama Rambler said:
I'm back to confused about the proper flow through the filter.

The labels on the filter indicate that the flow from the pump should go in the top port and out the bottom port to the pool. :scratch:

Haven't heard back from Pentair yet on the plumbing. Thanks!

Found these pics of a Quad DE plumbed with a multiport valve. Turns out it was the wrong multiport. Noticed it is running into the top inlet though as I think mine is running into the bottom inlet. When slide valve is up, it backwashes to bottom waste. Your thoughts please? Ty.

Attachments

• Quad DE 2.JPG
    Quad DE 2.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Quad DE 1.JPG
    Quad DE 1.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Quad DE 3JPG.JPG
    Quad DE 3JPG.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 64
Unless I'm completely wrong, I think the DE should be on the outside of the cartridges. However, I'll admit to being in foreign territory here, as I've not seen the inside of the quad DE. Most all filter cartridges I've ever seen are designed to filter from outside - in.

Found out from a local pool installer that the filter is plumbed backwards. The inlet is at the top and the outlet at the bottom on this filter which is the opposite of conventional DE filters. Will be back after I get that fixed to do more leak detection. Thanks for all your help!

Bama Rambler said:
Glad to know I wasn't crazy when I looked at the labels. You may find that some of your problems are solved once you change it around.

Haven't done this before...any tips on changing the piping? Is the pvc 2" and the elbows a little larger like 2-1/4". Do I just get the pvc at Home Depot or do I need to go to a pool store?Can you point me to any resources on this please? Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Home depot will have all you need. It's 2" for the piping and fittings. If you buy 2" fittings they fit over the 2" pipe.

The bad news is that you're going to need to buy a new slide valve (or multiport) and replace it. There's no room to cut the old out and replace it because everything's jammed right up together.

If you don't plan on using the solar I wouldn't worry about replacing the 3-way valve right now.

I'd be tempted to cut it all out and replace it, from the discharge of the pump to where it goes into the ground headed to the caretaker.

Thanks. Guess a whole new redesign would take lots of cash or expertise. Aside from that I got a response from Pentair....check out the rust on the interior of the filter tank? Here is the email and the pics I attached with several posts. Thanks again!
------------------------------------

REF: CASE TS00900230

Hi Diane,

I found out through a local installer that the filter was installed incorrectly by your FL. Pentair Sales rep, John Klise back in 2007. He replaced my quad 60 that had rusted inside within 6 months with a quad 80 he had on his truck. The new filter is rusted inside too. This is either a design flaw or because it was hooked up backwards. Unfortunately John didn't recognize that he was hooking the filter up backwards. He didn't do the plumbing though.

For 5 years, I have had pool problems and blown out filters and malfunctioning pool equipment with my intelliflo pump.. Pentair doesn't have sufficient resources showing the correct installation. I went through your manuals and even Pentair University which doesn't have anything about installing the quad DE filter.

I've attached pics of the install, the filter serial number and the rusty inside of the filter from yesterday. Why is it full of rust? This must be a defect! Can you do anything about replacing it since this whole issue is partially due to your sales rep. who didn't know your products? I have enclosed the serial number back of the filter so you can trace it to John Klise and his inventory to confirm what I am saying.

I am also being told I have to replace the slide valve because it is too close to cut out. Can I reuse the slide valve to replumb in your opinion?

Thanks,
Ed

FILTER PART NUMBER: 188593
FLT QUAD DE 80
SERIAL NUMBER:01780240700598

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Diane Albin <[email protected]> wrote:
ED,
Please send me a picture or two of your filter and how it is plumbed.

Reference case number TS00900230 in all correspondence.

Thank you,
Diane Albin
Pentair Water Pool and Spa, Inc

Your problem description:
HELLO-TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF THE INSTALLER PUT MY QUAD DE FILTER IN CORRECTLY SO WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAVE A PICTURE OR DIAGRAM OF AN INSTALLATION. WONDERING IF IT IS PLUMBED BACKWARDS AS THE PIPE FROM THE FILTER GOES INTO THE THE BOTTOM "OUTLET" INSTEAD OF THE "INLET". I CAN SEND A PIC IF YOU WOULDN'T MIND TELLING ME IF CORRECT? THANK YOU!

Diane Albin
Tech Support
10951 W Los Angeles Blvd
Moorpark, CA 93021
800 831 7133 x5228
[attachment=2:2h3if78n]FilterInstall1.jpg[/attachment:2h3if78n][attachment=1:2h3if78n]FilterInstall2.jpg[/attachment:2h3if78n][attachment=0:2h3if78n]IMAG1074.jpg[/attachment:2h3if78n]

Attachments

• FilterInstall1.jpg
    FilterInstall1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 36
  • FilterInstall2.jpg
    FilterInstall2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG1074.jpg
    IMAG1074.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 36
More pics from previous post...[attachment=2:31hh0kb6]IMAG1083.jpg[/attachment:31hh0kb6][attachment=1:31hh0kb6]IMAG1084.jpg[/attachment:31hh0kb6]

Attachments

• IMAG1083.jpg
    IMAG1083.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG1084.jpg
    IMAG1084.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG1085.jpg
    IMAG1085.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 36
Last of pics from previous post...[attachment=1:3ot5ptst]IMAG1105.jpg[/attachment:3ot5ptst][attachment=0:3ot5ptst]IMAG1115.jpg[/attachment:3ot5ptst]

Attachments

• IMAG1105.jpg
    IMAG1105.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG1115.jpg
    IMAG1115.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 36
Seeing the pics of the inside of the filter confirms my first impression of how the filter should work. The flow should go in the top port (Inlet), through the filter from outside > in, and back out the bottom port (Outlet) to the pool. I can't believe a Pentair rep replaced that filter and didn't catch that. I bet he was familiar with regular DE filters and not the Quads.

Do you think the rust is a defect from the rim inside the filter? I was wondering if I can cut out a bunch of piping I don't need now as you suggested? Can I cut right above the check valve and that other semi-clear valve next to the venturi as shown in the yellow on the attached pic. I can then eliminate the whole section and reposition the inline chlorinator and go into the return pipe along with capping the solar return pipe. What do you think?

Lastly, I noticed I have the follwing in the pool:

7 Caretaker Popups (4 shallow, 3 deep end)
3 return jets
1 main drain
1 skimmer

Pool was constructed around 1990. Please answer these two questions:

1. Why 7 Caretaker popup heads and only 5 pipes coming from the caretaker head end?
2. Why can't I just circumvent and basically close off the caretaker or is it that beneficial? I know it makes the pump work harder.

Thanks![attachment=0:1d1gxmc4]REplumb cutouts.jpg[/attachment:1d1gxmc4]

Attachments

• REplumb cutouts.jpg
    REplumb cutouts.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 32
I bet in a couple of positions the caretaker pops up two heads at the same time. They're ganged together with other heads.
You can just abandon the caretaker but it does help circulation and if it works I wouldn't abandon it.

I would cut the pipe right beside the chlorinator, right above the solar return check valve and right beside and below the 3-way valve and throw all that away. Yes I suggest you get rid of the chlorinator. While we haven't discussed the balance, I bet it's not good, and you should stop using the pucks anyway.

mred1 said:
Do you think the rust is a defect from the rim inside the filter?
What do you think?

Could I use pvc flex pipe?

Can out cut out the green section in the pic?[attachment=0:2gfbcy5v]IMAG1045.jpg[/attachment:2gfbcy5v]
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG1045.jpg
    IMAG1045.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 26

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.