Taking over care of our pool!

Starting day four of the shock process. Seeing some gradual improvement now, not as shocking (no pun intended) as the first two days but still improving. Still waiting on the TF-100 to start getting some more actuare numbers. I have also added some better pictures of the pad as requested, though I think I have my MD and sweeper questions answered now. I will continue to post pictures as the pool improves and once I get the test kit I'll add those numbers!

DeepEnd2-1.jpg

ShallowEnd-1.jpg

Pad.jpg

Pad3.jpg

Pad4.jpg

Just thought it might be cool to put all of the progress pictures in one post so here they are from Sunday through Wednesday.

Sunday PM:
DeepEnd3.jpg

Monday PM:
DeepEnd.jpg

Tuesday PM:
DeepEnd2.jpg

Wednesday PM:
DeepEnd2-1.jpg

Again thanks for everyone's help!

Received my TF-100 Saturday, didn’t get the opportunity to use it until Sunday evening. Here are the results as of 5:15pm:

FC: 17
CC: 0
TC: 17
PH: 7
TA: 110
CH: 110
CYA: 50

Great numbers and all about where I expected them to be! I added 6% bleach to bring FC to 20ppm.

I tested to be sure the FC was at 20ppm at 9:30pm in preparation for an OCLT and it was. This morning I tested FC and it was still at 20ppm. Zero loss. I haven’t had the TF-100 long enough to have any consecutive days of results, but I am pretty sure this has been the case for at least four days.

This means my chemicals are all in range with what they should be to shock my pool. I’m not losing chlorine overnight, so the organic crud in my pool is dead. I have been alternating manually vacuuming the pool and just scrubbing. The water is still opaque. I cannot see the MD in the deep end. What do I need to do now to get the “sparkle” effect?

I have not had the pressure sweeper in the pool for several days as advice on here lead me to pull it out since I am maintaining shock level chlorine. Is it time to put it back in several hours a day?

Linen, I was also wondering if I might be battling a mustard algea problem. If I was wouldn't I be losing FC overnight? Should I get my FC level up to 29ppm for mustard algea shock?

moljourn said:
Linen, I was also wondering if I might be battling a mustard algea problem. If I was wouldn't I be losing FC overnight? Should I get my FC level up to 29ppm for mustard algea shock?
Might be possible, any signs of growth in shaded portion of the pool? I would check the filter first.

I have suspected my filter needed more than needing backwashed for some time. I'll dig into that tonight though I am going to have to find some info on cracking that baby open.

Just to check, that chlorinator in your pictures is not in service right now? It looks to be disconnected to me, but I wanted to be sure.
Yes the chlorinator is disconnected. The pool guy I had for a period last summer said it was more trouble than it was worth and took it out of the plumbing configuration.

moljourn said:
I have suspected my filter needed more than needing backwashed for some time. I'll dig into that tonight though I am going to have to find some info on cracking that baby open.
Ugg, I just looked at your pictures and it appears that you have no unions. Other than that, you just loosen that silver metal clamp between your multiport valve and the filter body, pull off the valve and you would be good to go. You might be able to loosen the clamp and see how much play you have in the pipes. The valve needs to come up straight for about 2 inches and needs to be returned vertically when you are done from ~ 2 inches above. If you have the play, you could slide the filter body over after you lift the valve to do the maintenance. It probably would just be a better idea to advantage of this and put unions on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ugg, I just looked at your pictures and it appears that you have no unions. It probably would just be a better idea to advantage of this and put unions on.
Rookie question probably. What are these "unions" you speak of? :oops: Gonna be difficult to install? Costly?

moljourn said:
Ugg, I just looked at your pictures and it appears that you have no unions. It probably would just be a better idea to advantage of this and put unions on.
Rookie question probably. What are these "unions" you speak of? :oops: Gonna be difficult to install? Costly?

The unions are just PVC fittings that allow you to separate pipes from each other by unscrewing a "nut". They use an o-ring inside to make the seal.

Should be a pretty easy install for you if you have ever done any pvc work since you have plenty of exposed pipe. You would just need to install 2 of them (on the pump side of the filter) buy cutting out a small section of each pipe and gluing on the fittings. Then to remove the top of the filter you would just have to unscrew the 2 unions and removed the silver clamp and then lift the valve and pipes off the top.

I think locally the unions should be <$10 each

Awesome. I've done some PVC work before (spa, sprinklers, etc.). What I am looking at now is a possible problem with the return side of the filter valve as there isn't much usable line near the valve. I am more than likely going to need to remake a good portion of that run. Doable at least.

moljourn said:
Awesome. I've done some PVC work before (spa, sprinklers, etc.). What I am looking at now is a possible problem with the return side of the filter valve as there isn't much usable line near the valve. I am more than likely going to need to remake a good portion of that run. Doable at least.

I would put both the unions on the vertical pipes where you have a LOT of exposed pipe. Plus then you just lift straight up and off and put it straight back down.

Got the unions installed yesterday and cracked open my sand filter. My sand was so badly channeled that there was a clear shot all the way around the center PVC line all the way to the bottom, so in effect my filter was doing… nothing. Right?

The sand was as hard as rock as well and was very difficult to break up. As soon as I ran the hose in there the water got so cruddy I could see nothing, so it was very difficult to see what I was doing when trying to spread the sand around. I did the best I could and left the hose running in the filter for over half an hour. When I removed the hose and hooked everything back up (the unions worked flawlessly and I was able to tighten the joint from the pump to the filter stopping another leak :mrgreen: ) I back washed the filter for another twenty minutes.

I ran the filter all night (it has been running virtually 24/7 since Sunday the 1st, ouch :| ) and was hoping to see a drastic improvement in clarity this morning. No such luck :roll: . It was improved, I think, but it is hard to tell since I have been looking at the pool constantly for a week and a half… I have been letting the FC fall into normal range since passing the OCLT several days ago. It was 14ppm this morning. I decided to throw the Letro Legend II in there to help keep the junk off the bottom and hopefully assist the drain and skimmer in pulling it out while I am at work today. Was that premature? I am getting a little impatient I guess…

Glad the unions worked out ... AND let you fix a leak :goodjob:

Sounds like the sand was not doing anything for you. I have read they people recommend doing that "deep clean" of the sand about once a year to help get any junk out ... might want to keep that in mind.

I see no problem with running all the cleaners you have!!! If it is helping pull junk out of the pool, then let them help clear the water.

Hopefully with the sand fixed, you will start to see more rapid improvement. Remember to backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over your clean pressure.

It can take a little while to clear with any filter, but sand filters are the slowest so don't loose hope yet. With the water bypassing the sand, you had no filtering so you are starting from square one getting out the stuff you killed. If it doesn't show real improvement in a day or so, and you are impatient with it, you could try adding DE to your sand filter. Otherwise let it run and it should clear up.

You have a bunch of good news though: the stuff in your pool seems dead, you probably do not have mustard algae, and your filter is now serviceable. I would say things are look downright up :wink:

Ok TFP,

Tomorrow will be two weeks since starting to get my pool in shape (see earlier pics). I still cannot see the MD in the deep end. The water is blue, but not clear. There are patches of what looks brown on the steps in the shallow end. After maintaining FC at >20ppm for almost a week I passed an OCLT and stopped adding 6% bleach to let it drop into a normal range. Last night I tested 6.5ppm FC (9:15pm) and this morning it was still 6.5ppm FC (6:45am). Also last night my CC was .5ppm. I have completed a deep clean on my sand filter and my pressure remains around 17, though it jumps to 25 when I am running return 100% through the Pressure cleaner. Did I come out of shock too soon?

moljourn said:
Ok TFP,

Tomorrow will be two weeks since starting to get my pool in shape (see earlier pics). I still cannot see the MD in the deep end. The water is blue, but not clear. There are patches of what looks brown on the steps in the shallow end. After maintaining FC at >20ppm for almost a week I passed an OCLT and stopped adding 6% bleach to let it drop into a normal range. Last night I tested 6.5ppm FC (9:15pm) and this morning it was still 6.5ppm FC (6:45am). Also last night my CC was .5ppm. I have completed a deep clean on my sand filter and my pressure remains around 17, though it jumps to 25 when I am running return 100% through the Pressure cleaner. Did I come out of shock too soon?
Are you seeing any progress on pool water clarity?

Can you get a sample of the brown stuff and see if it is gritty (dirt) or slimy (algae)?

Did you note what your clean filter pressure was just after your deep cleaning of it (without the pressure cleaner running)?

You have only been running for three days with an proper functioning (hopefully) filter. It is likely it will take longer than that to clear the water with a sand filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.