Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hello all,

My first time posting, but have been a lurker here for more than 6 months before pulling the trigger on the construction of our new pool.

I have some construction photos to share here, and will come back and post once I am back at my regular machine.

We have a ~9400 gallon, in ground pool, Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward 2 speed pump, pebbly-style plaster finish. No SWG, but the PB installed a chlorine tablet feeder and Ozonator, the former is currently turned off (as I plan to use BBB), the latter is on as from what I can tell it does no harm and maybe some good!

Some pool readings for you, via the TF-100 test kit.

Mar 30th after startup by the PB:
FC 1.5
CC 0.5
TC 2.0
pH Off scale high
T/A 70
CH 350
CYA 45

I have been adding MA to bring down the pH, Bleach yesterday to get the Chlorine up, and Baking Soda to get T/A up.

Apr 1st
FC 6.0
CC 0
TC 6.0
pH 7.5
T/A 120
CH 400
CYA 32

So - how does this look? Do I worry about CH? Still a fair bit of plaster dust whilst brushing. Fairly happy with CYA, althogh not sure why my two tests are so different, but I think this will settle once my testing ability is more repeatable - CYA test really needs consistent light.

Pool water is very clear - photo to follow...

Many thanks for all your wisdom that got me this far!

The main thing is to keep an eye on the PH and make sure it doesn't get off scale high again. The PH will tend to go up fairly quickly for the first three or four weeks, and more slowly after that for up to a year. If the PH gets too high you can have calcium scaling, which is annoying, and often expensive, to fix.

The CH level will continue to go up slowly for a little while as the plaster cures. Hopefully it won't get too high.

Ozone doesn't do much in an outdoor residential pool unless you are having a big swim party, or have lots of people swimming regularly. Ozone also tends to increase chlorine usage a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.