TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm in the middle of a major landscaping project, and this warm weather has been pushing urgently at me to get the pool open, but I just got around to it Tuesday evening.

I didn't put the eyeballs in, install the ladder, diving board or the handrail, and I haven't folded the safety cover yet, but the pool went from winterized to operational at shock level in 21 minutes. The rest of it I can do at my convenience.

Thanks to my local Walmart for carrying trichlor shock this year, which makes start-up easier. 10lbs of trichlor shock let me maintain my shock level for two days while adding 32ppm of the stabilizer I need. For years, our local store only carried cal-hypo.

I had never heard of trichlor shock. All that I have ever seen was dichlor, cal-hypo, and lithium hypo. I myself have used dichlor shock bags to raise my CYA. It's great for that.

257WbyMag said:
I had never heard of trichlor shock. All that I have ever seen was dichlor, cal-hypo, and lithium hypo. I myself have used dichlor shock bags to raise my CYA. It's great for that.

Prepare to be be amazed :eek:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pool-Essentia ... k/19795892

If you zoom in on the package picture, you can read the ingredients.

I had never seen it before, but I assumed that was because I live in the middle of nowhere!

IIRC it was about $11 a box, which is about the same cost per ppm of chlorine in the pool as the Walmart bleach now that it is $2.98, and it adds the CYA I need to get the pool going. :goodjob:

Seeing that it's only 53.5% trichlor I was trying to figure out what else is in it. Unfortunately we'll never know what the other 46.5% is because according to it's MSDS it's a "trade secret."

JesseWV said:
Seeing that it's only 53.5% trichlor I was trying to figure out what else is in it. Unfortunately we'll never know what the other 46.5% is because according to it's MSDS it's a "trade secret."

Talked to Chem Geek about it. He said part of it is probably aluminum sulfate as a flocculant but he's not sure about the rest. Not as good as I had hoped. Back to bleach.

I didn't beat a 21 minute opening, but set a record from going from dark green to clear in 36 hours. This is the first year I opened by shocking with bleach. Absolutely amazing. Sure, the water is 58 degrees, but it's nice to have it ready.

Finished OCLT at 6 AM this morning, FC holding steady at 18, 0 CC.

gkruske said:
I didn't beat a 21 minute opening, but set a record from going from dark green to clear in 36 hours. This is the first year I opened by shocking with bleach. Absolutely amazing. Sure, the water is 58 degrees, but it's nice to have it ready.

Finished OCLT at 6 AM this morning, FC holding steady at 18, 0 CC.

Until they buy in to the TFP/BBB method, people don't understand how easy it is to take care of a pool, even one that has turned nasty shades of green, brown and black, when you know what you are doing.

Talked to Chem Geek about it. He said part of it is probably aluminum sulfate as a flocculant but he's not sure about the rest. Not as good as I had hoped. Back to bleach.[/quote]

I used di-chlor this year for start up. I was happy with it. It raised my cya level and shocked at the same time. Would you use tri-chlor to open again? What are the benefits of trichlor vs dichlor for opening?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
plucky71 said:
I used di-chlor this year for start up. I was happy with it. It raised my cya level and shocked at the same time. Would you use tri-chlor to open again? What are the benefits of trichlor vs dichlor for opening?

I'd use either if I could get it for a reasonable price, but I'm about 25 miles from the nearest pool store, and, like every place else I've been locally, carries only cal-hypo shock. If I could find somebody that carried dichlor or trichlor shock, I'd go with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.