Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: There's water in my pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

There's water in my pool!

No, really! It's not just one huge ice cube anymore!

Braving yesterday's wind and rain - actually, my dog dragged me outside to play - I took a quick peek at the pool and found, to my great joy, wavelets lapping at the sides. The huge ice floe which had ever so gently bumped around in there is gone, baby, gone! I can see the bottom, I can see some leaves and minor debris, and I see clear water. O yay!

This is the second winter during which we did not cover the pool. We don't have that many leaf trees upwind from it and don't have to deal with a lot of leaves, and I don't mind netting and skimming those that do drop in. We leave the pool at shock levels at the end of the season, disconnect all the pipes, and drain it to below the lowest opening, which is the light fitting. Then watch it freeze.

Now I'm itching to go up there and start skimming, testing the water, hook up the pump, put in the steps - but alas! Today it %$#@! snows. I know it's too soon to hook up. We'll have a few more freezes in the days to come which will bother the PVC pipes but boy howdy! There's hope!

It's not frozen anymore!

AnnaK and the water dogs
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

2. Back To Top    #2
    I uncovered mine today,and yes, I had water too! I'm in the same boat as you .....I can't wait to fire it up!
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

3. Back To Top    #3

Get it out of there FAST!!!

Do you have any idea much harm improperly balanced water can do to your pool???

Congrats on having liquid water in your pool again!! As soon as Ma Nature stars cooperating, you'll be swimming
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thats cool, mine still has snow on from yesterday, a nice little Alberta Clipper dumped 6" on us again, and I'm only about 2-3 hours from you.
    18x33 15700 Gal Oval Above Ground
    Ranger Sand Filter w/Praher Multi Port Valve
    A.O. Smith 1.5 hp Pump
    Confer E9120 Steps
    BBB And Sparkling Clean.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Yeah, we've been watching th weather you're having. My sympathies! It's sunny here today and I think I'll go leaf fishing.

This is always such a frustrating time of year for us in the N.E. when the days are warming up but there's still frost on the ground in the mornings. I want to get my peas in but they'll freeze for sure, and I want to start up the pool yet it, too, will freeze again and it just doesn't make sense to run the pump 24/7. Well, to me it does but I've been told by He Who Earns The Paycheck that we're not doing that.

I can, however, go shopping for bleach and get readdddddyyyyyyyy!!!!!!
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.