Hayward Summit 8TA External Controller Setup

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
I am trying to figure out why my PB installed my Summit Heat Pump in manual mode and get it controlled by my PL-PS-8. The P/S wires are connected to Heater 1 on the PL-PS-8. Going through the manual:

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Manual389.pdf

On page 10 it indicates going accessing the setup menu, going into P_S menu and selecting E (External). Not sure if there is a special setup menu or ?? Hitting set will bring up P_S, but only pool or spa, not E??

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

The other thing to remember is that the PL-PS-8 isn't logically turning the heat pump on and off, it is switching between pool mode and spa mode. So you need to remember to have one of them (either pool or spa) set to a high temperature and the other one set to a low temperature.

Per the manual I have Pool off and Spa set to 85. The only thing missing is the E (external setting). I am just wondering if the heat pump needs to see the presence of the P/S line connected to the PS-8 for the E to show up and the connector on the logic board is bad? I can check PS-8 connection by moving to gas heater to see if it gives it power, but cant test heat pump board connector.

Talked to Hayward this morning. Was instructed to do the following: Hold the SET button until LOC comes up. Up arrow until 50. Hit SET repeatedly until P_S comes up. Hit arrows until E (External) is displayed. This in addition to POOL being off and SPA being set to 104F. Will verify when I get home, but makes sense as I did see the LOC prior, just didn't know what 0-50 meant. Manuals are not very good and the guy at Hayward even said this is not documented. Go figure!

Just wanted to say Thank You !

You just made my very long day reading and studying the manuals and the equipment and wiring and setup and configuration menus end in success !

Nothing in my Hayward manual about the LOC menu.

I am now able to control whether the heat pump is on or off by simply changed the temperature setting on the remote.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.