Add cya now or later?

joel0711

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2010
East Tennessee, 40 miles west of Knoxville Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Started pool late wednesday afternoon.So far it's went from a green/black color to mid-green color with the shallow becoming milky in this short time, i checked cya yesterday and couldn't get a reading with the tube filled to overflowing (tft test kit of course). Should i add cya now or wait till i've got the pool clear?? I'm basing my shock level on 20ppm cya since i didnt get a reading at all,plus going couple of points above the level recommended by the chart. I'm checking chlorine level every 3 to 4 hours and adjusting as needed. Backwashing at every opportunity,we're having numerous showers today and tomorrow.

I'd add enough to get to about 30 and then wait till you pass the OCLT to add any more. Without any at all, the sun will burn through the FC you're trying to kill the algae with, quicker than it gets used up killing the baddies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.