Instructions to install a new return or skimmer?

cherylandco

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2009
I searched, but did not come up with any instructions on here to install a 2nd return (or skimmer).

Our skimmer and return is currently on the wrong end of the pool (on southwest end - guess where the prevailing winds are?! :roll: ). I think that just putting a return in on the northwest side (since it's easier access - the northeast side is under a deck, so not so easy to get to) would help push the debris back to the south end. I know a skimmer down there would be best, but I think that will require way more effort.

I called a pool store (the closest is 40+ miles from me) and they said they would charge at least $500 to install a return.

Was looking for instructions on how to do it myself before I fill the pool back up for the summer. If it's something I can do, great.

I was going to do it last year and the year before, but didn't get it done. :whip:

I've asked on here before about if I should do it (in case this post sounds familiar to you! lol)

To install a return, all you need is the plumbing fittings, a hole saw the right size, a good sharp knife and some plumbing know how. Oh yeah, and a roll of masking tape. Mark the place you want to install the return and tape it on the inside and outside with masking tape. Trace the I.D. of the return fitting gasket onto the liner and cut the hole out with a sharp knife. Be careful to cut the hole as round as you can. Then take the hole saw the right size and saw through the wall from the inside being careful not to snag the liner. If you can pull the liner away from the wall, that would be good. Clean up the hole with a round file and be sure to vacuum up the shavings from sawing. Then mask around the hole and paint it with a good primer. Install the return fitting and plumb to it. There you have it! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.