Bunnings chemicals?

stevodevo

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 22, 2011
Gold Coast, Australia
Howdy all,

One for the Aussies here... does anyone know whether or not the pool chemicals that Bunnings sells are any good? I have heard many people say their salt is rubbish, so I'm not going there. I'm mainly talking about balancing chems like calcium, stabiliser, acid and buffer. The brand is Premier Chlor I think. Hydrochloric Acid is Diggers brand. I bought 2kg of stabilser the other day and have been adding it 500gr at a time to get my CYA up to 60-70ppm. Seems OK but I don't really know how to tell if it's not. I'm also trying to get my calcium up to 350ppm so I need to buy another bag. Tough going with all the rain we've been getting lately but I'm getting there. Bunnings is just so convenient I can pop in after work up to 9:00pm to get anything I need, so if calcium ic calcium and cya is cya etc, I'm just as happy to pay their prices too... but NOT if I'm getting unwanted nasties/minerals/metals etc.

Thanks,
Steve.

I have used Bunnings chemicals for a while now. The calcium is very pure and I have had no problem with it. I also use the stabliser much cheaper then the pool shop. Do not use the powder chlorine as my salt cell does not recommend it but I see no reason it should not be fine as well.

Thanks...

Actually to put it another way to take the question international... is there anything to look out for when it comes to chemicals like Calcium, CYA, Bi-carb and Acid? I've seen cheap salt and it's visibly inferior (course, discoloured, dirty), but as aussieorchid mentioned, the last lot of stabilser I bought was pure white and very fine, so it appears to be be good quality. Is appearance generally OK to go by or is it best to stick to better known brands?

Thanks,
Steve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.