Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "O" Ring grease, lube?

1. Back To Top    #1

"O" Ring grease, lube?

So far I have not used any lube/grease on the Filter/Pump basket "O" Rings and I was wondering what kind to use next time I clean my Cart Filter. Is lithium grease ok to use or is it Teflon?

Thanks,
    -Rick
    ~15k Gal IG
    Gunite/White plaster
    AquaLogic PS-8 w/SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    You just need a waterproof o-ring lubricant. It doesn't matter whether it's silicone or teflon based.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Most pool supply stores sell silicone and/or teflon grease. I have always used the silicone kind but either one is ok.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Teflon or Silicone it is then....

Thank you both.
    -Rick
    ~15k Gal IG
    Gunite/White plaster
    AquaLogic PS-8 w/SWG

5. Back To Top    #5
    information in my sta-rite manual says not to use silicon of any kind on an o-ring as it will apparently eat the ring over time. echoed by the pool store i deal with locally who have yet to lead me astray. if necessary at all, a graphite spray is recommended instead for o-rings. very slick.
    • 15K IG gunite/plaster pool • Pentair: Whisperflo EE 1 HP • Nautilus FNS + 48 DE Filter • IntelliChlor IC40 •
    • Spectrum Amerlite SAm • Admiral S20 Skimmer - Circular Weir • Kreepy Krauly •

6. Back To Top    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tenax
    information in my sta-rite manual says not to use silicon of any kind on an o-ring as it will apparently eat the ring over time. echoed by the pool store i deal with locally who have yet to lead me astray. if necessary at all, a graphite spray is recommended instead for o-rings. very slick.
    That's odd. This Sta-Rite owners manual (http://www.staritepool.com/pdf/S454(7-24-03).PDF]) calls specifically for silicone lubricant in the event the original o-ring is replaced. To wit: "If you replace the O-Ring with a non-internally lubricated O-Ring, you may need to apply a silicone based lubricant" (page nine of the .pdf).

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey all, as long as it's not petroleum based, it should be cool to use on your o-rings. 8)
    As a side note, I've found the silicon based lube softens my fingernails , I asked (and for a change, the request was honored ), to get only teflon based lube since I use a few oz of it per day at this time of year
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8
    Lowe's sells a product called "plumber's grease" which is great for pool o-ring use. It's non-petroleum based and gives a great water seal.

9. Back To Top    #9
    i saw the plumber's grease when i was rebuilding my pump and wondered if it could be used for that application and it's easy to find!
    • 15K IG gunite/plaster pool • Pentair: Whisperflo EE 1 HP • Nautilus FNS + 48 DE Filter • IntelliChlor IC40 •
    • Spectrum Amerlite SAm • Admiral S20 Skimmer - Circular Weir • Kreepy Krauly •

10. Back To Top    #10
    If the grease is NOT petroleum based it will not attack o-rings. The lubricants sold for pool use are not, whether silicone or teflon based.