pump strainer basket issue

Can you post some pics of the pump, especially the suction side?

Since you ahve a main drain I assume that nothing changes if you plug the skimmer and just pull from the MD?

Have you tried runnig water over the suction fittings and pump basket while it's running?

Bama Rambler said:
Can you post some pics of the pump, especially the suction side?

Since you ahve a main drain I assume that nothing changes if you plug the skimmer and just pull from the MD?

Have you tried runnig water over the suction fittings and pump basket while it's running?

I'm not able to download pictures on my laptop due to software issues. I could take some pics with my Iphone but not really sure how to download them on here. I am about to head to Lowes to get a 1 1/2 inch threaded plug to plug the skimmer line and try to just pull off the main drain. And yes, I have ran water over all the associated fittings while the pump was running as did the pool installation company a few days ago.

swimcmp said:
A picture would be excellent. What does the valve look like. Is there any unions. I have seen a union oring not be put in and cause similar issues.

The valve is just a valve installed in a pvc piece that you glue inline when installing pvc piping. It's a black plastic valve thats already installed in the pvc and you just glue pipes in each end of the pvc/valve piece. No, there are no unions anywhere in the system.

Bama Rambler said:
Those valve have been known to leak air in around the stem. I'd check it while you're checking everything else.

I agree with this. Check for air leak around the stem of the valve by using running water concentrated on the stem area. As many have said post pictures of the plumbing on the suction side of the pump, this would help in the diagnoses. I would suspect air leak at the stem. Maybe take the valve apart and lube up the stem o-ring just to eliminate that area as a possible source of air leak.

I plugged off the suction hole in the skimmer and ran the pump just pulling off the main drain. The entire pump strainer fills up almost all the way full (like it should) then empties out against once the pump sucks it dry. It builds back up and empties out again. This is better than what it was doing before by pulling off the main drain AND the skimmer. When pulling off both it would just barely fill the basket inside and never actually sucked down, it just maintained the level right at top of basket.

How does one go about posting pics? I read on the FAQ and it said pics had to be from a public server? Can someone explain what I need to do. I can try to use my phone to take some pics and try to post them.

Most of us use Photobucket or another picture service and just link from there. It's easy to do and there's no size restriction.

The pump basket should stay completely full of water all the time. It should never have but a very small amount of air in it. If it's filling up and then sucking the water down in the basket you have air getting into the system. The leak has to be somewhere very near the pump. I would inspect the basket lid very close to make sure it doesn't have a small crack in it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pics but I'd concentrate on the lid and the fitting at the front of the basket. It could be the valve stem but it doesn't look bad.
It could be a leak underground but that's very rare.

bk406 said:
Bama Rambler said:
Bama's right. Even an air leak underground wouldnt cause a complete water starvation, pump full of air, like you see unless it was a complete pipe blow out. It's most likely above ground, near the pump, but it seems like its been a bear to run down.

Yes, a bear that I'd like to make a rug out of!

bigD0203 said:
bk406 said:
Bama Rambler said:
Bama's right. Even an air leak underground wouldnt cause a complete water starvation, pump full of air, like you see unless it was a complete pipe blow out. It's most likely above ground, near the pump, but it seems like its been a bear to run down.

Yes, a bear that I'd like to make a rug out of!
I just went through a similar experience, so I will post a comment just in case it is helpful.

Replaced the o-ring on my pump lid, lubed it sparingly, and expected a perfect seal. Lo and behold, still the same problem like you describe with yours. After going through a similar process of elimination as you did, I decided to try more lube just to see if it made any difference at all. Short story, the extra lube fixed it.

My theory: the new o-ring requires more lube until it stretches a bit.

bigD0203 said:
Relubed new O-ring and purchased a new lid. No change. Ready to fill the pool in.

I think it might be time to call a pool company that does leak detection.
The other possibility is that part of the above ground plumbing is shot and you just can't find it. From the pictures you posted, it appears the pump is a bit old. A hair line crack in the housing would cause a problem and you might never see it. I still feel the problem is a suction leak above ground somewhere near the equiment pad. Sometimes with issues like these you just need to call a pro out and get their opinion.

EDIT:

Couple other things. It looks like from the pictures you have posted that you have another pump. Is this for a cleaner? Water feature? Does that pump work?

Secondly, and this may sound like a bit of work, but it looks like you have unions. You could remove the pipe on the suction end of the pump that comes from the skimmer and the main. Then, go get a role of flex pvc, attach one end to the suction side of the pump, and run the other end off into the pool, then start it up. If the air leak is in an underground pipe, above ground pipe on the suction side, skimmer, etc, and not in the equipment pad plumbing/pump, then the pump basket should fill up and run just fine. If you still get a water starved pump, its still a lid, seal, etc.

You could take silicone and go around the fitting where it screws into the front of the pump housing to make sure you dont have a crack in it. I have seen it before where the housing cracks from the stress of screwing the male adapter in to far. From your pictures it looks like it is screwed in pretty far. Look that area over if it is cracked there you will have that very problem.

Pump is only 3 years old. No unions on system except for a set on the salt cell itself and it's on backside of filter, nowhere near pump suction. Company that installed pool is coming out in a few days. I may check into leak detection if pool guy can't pinpoint issue. Second pump is booster for Polaris. It looks new compares to main pimp bc it's brand new. It went out about a month ago which is about the time I started having strainer basket issues. Not sure if it's coincidence or not. I have checked and rechecked everything concerning the new booster pump install and dont see how it could be affecting this current issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.