Heating Pool - Quickest Way?

mjkat

Nov 1, 2011
My pool is currently 65 degrees (I live in Florida), and I want to get the temperature up to the 80s as quickly as possible. Currently, 75% of the water flow to my pool goes through my spa and spills over into my pool. Does anybody know if it would heat significantly faster if I turned off the flow through the spa & spillway? In other words, would it be more efficient to heat the pool by directing all water from the heater directly to the pool (excluding the spa from the circuit)?

Any other tips on the most efficient settings to heat the pool?

Thanks!

Anywhere you can reduce heat loss especially with evaporation will help so using a solar cover would probably help the most. Excluding the spa will reduce the amount of water needed to be heated plus it will reduce some of the evaporation but I wouldn't expect it to help all that much. The cover will help the most. BTW, what are you using to heat the pool?

Thanks - I have a Heat Pump for heating right now, so it will be taking two or three days. In fact, it takes about 4.5 hours to heat my spa from 64 to 104. Does that sound right for heating a spa with a heat pump? If not, what would you expect?

Yes, shutting off the spa will help some. There's no point heating water then mixing cold air into it. I notice a big difference in how long it takes to heat my spa if I just cap the air intake. And the agitation increases evaporation, which also wastes expensive heat.

mjkat said:
Thanks - I have a Heat Pump for heating right now, so it will be taking two or three days. In fact, it takes about 4.5 hours to heat my spa from 64 to 104. Does that sound right for heating a spa with a heat pump? If not, what would you expect?

Took me about the same time last week to heat the spa from 68 - 104. I kidded with my pool guy that to heat the pool would take until April. Since I had some time and as my wife said, "some extra money", I turned the spa off and the pool water was 68 and I turned the HP on for the pool. I ran it 2.5 hours and it never moved above 68. At that time it was 71 outside. The next time the pool is heated, it will be started by the sun in the sky, then I can help it with the HP.

[center:lwhj42hm]
1291736658500595661.jpg

:jocolor:[/center:lwhj42hm]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.