Replacing skimmer in in-ground pool

Jan 12, 2012
Hi All,
First time poster.
My skimmer is cracked and is slowly leaking. My pool is concrete in-ground about 15k gal. with concrete pool deck. I have been researching and contemplating on replacing this myself. Other than being lots of work it does not seem that difficult but I have a couple of questions after I get the old one out.
I am going to make sure that the replacement skimmer has the exact same size opening as the old one where the water intake opening butts up against the concrete opening. What I do not know and maybe someone can advise on is that when I install the new one what is needed when the to assure a good bond between the new skimmer and the existing concrete opening to prevent water leaking?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Currently the skimmer opening has waterline tile going right up to the plastic edge of the skimmer.

Thanks in advance.

John
South Florida

I am going to have to do this soon also.

AFAIK you have to do it from the top down like cut out deck around skimmer about 15-20" on each side to give some working room, then bust out the old skimmer since it's trash anyway, use hydraulic cement to pack around skimmer against old cement, drill into old beam and insert epoxy rebar dowels around new skimmer, connect to bonding grid, back fill with gravel, patch deck with quikrete.

Yup, pretty much like that. There's more to it but I'll find those out when I get there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.