Cracks in pebble tec causing a leak?

Jul 19, 2007
Katy, TX
We noticed a leak a couple months ago. We called out American Leak Detection and they can not seem to pinpoint the leak. They guessed where it was in the spa and gave us a nice hefty estimate to repair. They gave us some suggestions of things we needed to do so they could try to get a more accurate read. We have been batteling with the pool builder, fixing the small issues and trying to figure out where the leak is on our own. Our spa is currently drained so it could be worked on. Anyway, my husband just noticed we have several cracks in the pebble tec. Is this normal, the pool is less than 5 years old? Could this be the source of our leak? Thanks so much!

With the spa isolated from the pool, did the leak stop?

It's very unusual for PT products to crack unless the underlying concrete cracked after it's application, such as if it settled. A drop of food coloring or from a dye pen would have told the ALD tech if there was a leak there.

Without knowing more about your pool, neither I nor anyone else here can speculate as tho where your leak is or if you do in fact have a leak.

What makes you sure you have a leak?

What tests did you do and what tests did ALD do?

Scott

Well our first clue that we had a leak should have been our huge water bills but since it was summer and we had a bad drought ...thought it was the sprinklers. We also had a wet patch in an area of grass. My husband thought it was a sprinkler leak so he tore all that area up and sprinklers were fine. One night he used the spa. he started it inside and let it warm and when he went out there was water all over our surcrete. He looked around and found a small hole in the grouting where the spa meets the ground (raised spa). it was filled with water and you could see bubbles coming from it. So the next day we turned the spa on and sat by that hole and waited, after awhile it filled with water. So at that point we figured a leak.

ALD came out and I am not sure what they did. First they asked why I thought I had a leak so I told them above and showed them where the water was coming out. They had some equipment and I watched them in the pool and it appeared they looked it all over and did what ever tests they needed to. I saw some dye so I assume they used that. When they were done they told me that we had a leak (visual) near pool pump and that we needed to put silicone around the jets in spa. He advised that when they were putting the air in, it was "leaking" at a couple of the jets. He then told me that they can not say for sure but they think the leak is right at the area I showed to them. In the pipes between the spa walls. So they gave me a hefty estimate to fix the issues above and then they would confirm that area of leak and they would fix it by first pulling up the sucrete to check those pipes and if not there then blast through my pebbletec. He talked to my husband about the issues that needed fixed before they could pin point the leak.

So we fixed the leak at pump and then husband siliconed all spa jets. Got them to come back out to recheck and when they put the air in, they blew out a couple of the jets my husband just siliconed. At that point they claimed they could not find the leak. ????? They told us that we needed to get our builder to secure the jets. So after much back and forth with pool builder on not just this issue but the NUMEROUS issues we have had with our pool, he agrees to have someone come out and secure the jets. They do.

Now we are awaiting ALD to come back out and pinpoint the darn leak. They were suppose to come yesterday but no showed.

Well, the leak has appeared to have stopped since we drained the spa.

Are the cracks going to be an issue in the future. ie - will they get worse? I would assume this would have to be covered, but then again my pool builder thinks nothing should be covered. Should I go through another battle with my builder on this?

Thanks!

Your builder is an Rear for not standing up and doing the right thing.

If ALD applied pressure, be it water or gas induced and it blew the silicone out, those jets have failed glue joints and will need replacing.

Do you have pic from the construction phase just before and after gunite but before plaster?

Spas are very difficult to narrow down the exact location because of the amount of fittings in series. A leaky fitting may show on the opposite side.

Looks like you're going have a chipping party at the spa. Check your warranty terms.

You mentioned cracks in the PT finish. Are they near the jets that had the silicone blow out? A settlement of the spa can cause a crack in the pipes.

Scott

Oh my pool builder is a real ***. We have had issue upon issue with this pool and he claims that pools are like homes and the builder can not guarentee the plumbing or foundation after a certain warranty time period. My husband quickly pointed out if we had this many problems with our brand new home, we would have sued the builder! Anyway, I do have pictures and we have been looking at them to try to figure out where the pipes are. According to our builder, he does not have to do anything more for us. The cracks are all through the spa, not any of them directly to a jet. I have taken a bunch of pics and i think my husband is going to battle the builder again.

As for the leak. I am ****** that I spend 350.00 for ALD to come out and find this leak yet they are having trouble. This baffles me. I guess their theory is find the general area where they think the leak is, open it all up to find the exact leak and then let the pool owner pay for it all.

Our sucrete has TONS of cracks and according to builder that is due to settlement and now the cracks in PT ...so that would be my guess on leak too. I guess I also do not understand why they have to blast through the pebble tec to get to the pipes. Why not go through the tiles on the outside. Crazy! Thanks for your input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.