Pool heater turns on automatically when weather gets cold

Jan 1, 2012
Hi,

Sorry if this has already been covered in another post. Totally newbie here. We have a Pentair Water system with a salt water pool. Since the weather has been getting colder, our pool has been kicking on automatically when the temp reaches about 37 degrees. The pool heater has also been kicking on automatically. Is it really necessary for the heater to be on or can the water just circulate. If we don't need the heater, how do I unprogram the heater? Not too happy with the gas bill I just received...

Re: Pool heater turns on automatically when weather gets col

I have another thread about this issue. I'd like to know what would cause this. I don't have a 'Heater' option under Freeze Protect. I've asked Jandy and they said only the controller could do this (so they say anyhow). It doesn't happen every time freeze protect kicks in (I dont think anyhow).

Hopefully the OP is watching this forum...

Brian, With a Jandy, If you normally only push SPA on, on your PDA to move the valves and turn on the heater, then thats what will happen every 15 minutes when you select SPA on the freeze protection menu. We normally set them up so you have to enable or turn on the heater in a separate function.

After looking a the photos in the other post, this is what I think happened.

Your heater was giving you a no flow code because the pump was off. Either you had a power failure or someone turned off the breaker to the heater and that cleared the remote tstat programming. After that the remote tstat was never re-enabled which left the heater in control of the operating temp. I am assumming that when the pool guy came out, he re-enabled the remote tstat.

Thank you. I think that is what happened. Either power or someone took it out of remote mode. Should that happen though from a power outage. That would be bad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.