New Pool - Need to decide Cleaner Type

Oct 3, 2011
Hello! My pool build is just before the plumbing phase and I'm deciding whether or not I should have my PB plumb in a dedicated pressure line. I'm debating on either getting the Polaris 280 installed and plumbed with a 1/2 hp booster pump for $900 or just buying the robotic Blue Diamond pool cleaner for $800.

My pool is approximately 18k gallons in a freeform shape, with a 6 foot deep end.

Thanks for taking the time to help me make the best decision!

I have both cleaner types you mentioned (pressure type and robotic). A dedicated pressure line for my Polaris 360 and uses the same pump as my filter (only one pump for the pool). The 360 cleans well and I see no need for a Polaris model requiring a separate pressure pump and I have a larger pool (approx 30K gallons). The 360 does not pickup the fine debris like powder/sand and it always gets stuck on my shallow end steps that are built-in as part of the pool sidewalls.

I recently bought the new Polaris robotoc cleaner (9300) and like it very much. Easy to clean the bag and it picks up even the finer sand/dirt on the bottom. Cleans much quicker than the 360 and does not depend on the pool pump, so I usually run it at night when the pool pump is OFF. The downsize is that the manual says it is not designed to stay in in the pool when not in use (several posts of water degrading the electric wire/motor) AND it says to not swim in the water while it is energized (even though only 24v DC). So, it takes longer to remove it from the pool and coil up the wires/where as I just leave the 360 in the water all the time.

So it's a toss up. If the pool is extremely dirty after a wind/rain storm, I will use the 360 for the inital clean by me in the pool steering the 360 by hand with snorkel gear. But use the 9300 for a better cleaning. On a regular basis, the 9300 will clean the pool and maintain it clean with a 2x per week cleaning where-as the 360 requires daily use.

If I had to do it all over, I would spend the extra costs and have then plumb a dedicated pressure line to the side of the pool to keep the option open. You have to do this before they spray in the pool sidewalls. My 360 has now been through 6 pool seasons and the only problems I have had is to replace the pressure hose due to cracks at bends and the hose o-ring union fittings, and also replace the bags. Parts are readily available at most pool stores. Now the robotic will require a trained technician if it ever fails and there are no consumable type parts other than the rubber treads (supposed to last 2 years). After one pool season, I have had no problems.

What kind of debris do you think you'll be getting? Fine debris, like sand, dust, tiny leaves. Or larger debris, twigs, leaves, acorns, etc...

The pressure side cleaners seem to deal with larger debris pretty well, but aren't as good with finer stuff. (some can be fitted with a sand and silt bag for better fine particle cleaning).

Suction side ones great with fine debris (it goes into the filter) but not as good with larger stuff.

I've never used a robot, as I understand it, they robots are pretty good with both fine and larger debris, but have a more limited collection capacity than the other two. They can be fairly expensive to buy and maintain.

Since you are at a plumbing stage, do what you can to ensure your skimmer are in a down wind position or at least down wind to the prevailing wind direction. Mine aren't located so well, so they aren't as effective as they could be, which causes more debris to fall to the bottom.

For me, I do have the plumbing and pump to support a pressure side cleaner, however, most of my debris is tiny (dust, sand, small needles from a bunch of cedar trees etc...) In the end, a suction side cleaner made more sense, and does a great job for me. I have to run it about 2x a week.

One of the more clever setup's I've heard of was ChemGeek's. He has a PoolCleaner Pressure, but uses his variable speed pump and some automation, so he doesn't have to use a separate booster pump. Just throwing that in there as some more food for thought.

I hope that helps, without being to random.

I don't have a strong opinion on the type of cleaner. My curent pool has in floor pop-up heads, but my previous pool had a pressure type Polaris unit and it did a very good job. But I didn't have a dedicated line plumbed in for it, so I was stuck with a pressure hose running across the deck when the cleaner was in use.

I would at least plumb in a dedicated line for a pressure type cleaner. The cost is minimal. The pump can always be added later if you decide to go that way.

It seems you could inexpensively plumb the pool for a pressure side but neither purchase it or the pump......then get a robot.

If the robot turns out to be the wrong choice (not likely), you are ready to purchase and easily install a booster and pressure side cleaner.

My pool is was plumbed for a pressure cleaner, but when I got it the booster motor was DOA and it didn't have a cleaner. I only had the manual vac (suction into the skimmer). After about a month I picked up a robotic (Nitro) for about $400, you can get them on line for about $300. I've been happy with it after 1 season. He runs a couple times a week, 2 hours per shot.

I say get it plumbed (pressure cleaner) have the option. You don't need to buy the pump or such now. They can screw in a cap in the pool that way you have the option later if you choose to go that way. You could always go the manual route also and pick up a robotic. I would also say it depends on if your pool will be screened or not.

Decision made! I decided to go ahead and get the pressure side cleaner and will get a robot if it doesn't meet my expectations. I figured that I'll never be able to add a pressure side cleaner in the future, so better to do it now and not wish I had...

Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.