Just signed the contract! plz review with pics.

JamesW said:
I would upgrade the rebar to #4 and the wall and floor thickness to 8 inches.
The Clean and Clear (Plus) 420 is a good choice.
Pentair rainbow 320 automatic chlorine/bromine feeder should be the Off-line model vs. the In-Line model.
Each light should be on its own separate switch to allow for independent operation.
You might want to consider the IntelliTouch vs. the EasyTouch automation. Intellitouch will be more capable.
You might want to consider adding some water features, such as lighted laminars or waterfalls.
I would want two separate, independent return lines going to the pool

James I forgot to ask why the off-line rainbow feeder vs the online type? Steve

Steve737 said:
James I forgot to ask why the off-line rainbow feeder vs the online type? Steve
The reason for the off-line model is that if the in-line model is put before the salt cell, then trichlor feeds into the cell, which is not good. If it is put after the cell, then the cell output feeds into the tab feeder, which is also not good. For one thing, hydrogen gas could build up in the feeder, which could be explosive.

Using the off-line model will allow the feeder to pick up water before the cell and return it after the cell. I would only use one at a time. If you wanted to use the tab feeder, then you should turn off the salt cell until the tab feeder was clear of all tabs and then switch back to the salt cell.

I have never like on-line models. Since you are getting the IntelliChlor, the trichlor feeder is mostly redundant. It does have some minor value because there are a few times that trichlor can be useful. For the first 30 days, the salt system will not be used, and trichlor can be used to add chlorine and cyanuric acid and lower the pH.

After 30 days, the value is pretty minor. It can be used to lower the pH and add cyanuric acid, but it's not necessary. Most people don't bother with a tab feeder when they have a salt system. I think that it can have some value, but it can also create unnecessary complexity.

Lershac said:
I ordered my travertine from travertinemart.com. Very pleased so far. I took the travertine over to the local university geology dept and to a local tile/stone dealer and they both said it was high quality with very little fill. Customer service was great, and they will negotiate on large projects.

Especially telling to me was the stone dealer asked me for the contact information after I told him how much I paid for it. He uses them now for travertine supply. I have no relation to them except as a customer.
Are you going to use a salt system, or go with liquid chlorine?

[edit]I didn't see a salt system in your signature, but I see one in your build thread. Are you concerned about the travertine holding up over time with the salt water that will splash out onto the deck?[end edit]

JamesW said:
Lershac said:
I ordered my travertine from travertinemart.com. Very pleased so far. I took the travertine over to the local university geology dept and to a local tile/stone dealer and they both said it was high quality with very little fill. Customer service was great, and they will negotiate on large projects.

Especially telling to me was the stone dealer asked me for the contact information after I told him how much I paid for it. He uses them now for travertine supply. I have no relation to them except as a customer.
Are you going to use a salt system, or go with liquid chlorine?

[edit]I didn't see a salt system in your signature, but I see one in your build thread. Are you concerned about the travertine holding up over time with the salt water that will splash out onto the deck?[end edit]

Not a bit. I have seen many travertine and natural stone decks with salt water pools and very rarely seen any issue. I specifically hunted down some over 10 years old, found one that was 20. No issues. And if there is, I can afford to have it replaced.

sorry for the thread hijack, it was unintentional.

Lershac said:
Not a bit. I have seen many travertine and natural stone decks with salt water pools and very rarely seen any issue. I specifically hunted down some over 10 years old, found one that was 20. No issues. And if there is, I can afford to have it replaced.

sorry for the thread hijack, it was unintentional.
Yes, I didn't intend to hijack the thread. I thought it was relevant because the poster had originally considered travertine, and I said that I didn't think that it was the best choice for use with a salt pool. Travertinemart.com claims that it's not a problem, but I don't necessarily agree.

Q: Can Travertine be used around salt-water pools? If so, should it be sealed?

A: Salt water cannot, in any way, damage or corrode travertine. There is absolutely no reason to seal the travertine just because you are using it around a salt-water pool.
http://www.travertinemart.com/faq
Which is fine for selling the stone. However, they are not willing to back it up in the form of any type of warranty or guaranty.
6. WARRANTIES
Due to the nature of Travertine and natural stone, Travertine Mart makes no warranties, whether express, implied or statutory, on the material it sells; including any implied warranty of merchantability, environmental suitability or fitness for a particular purpose or environment.
http://www.travertinemart.com/terms-of-sale
I think that there are multiple issues that affect the suitability of travertine around a salt pool.
1) The quality of the travertine. There can be a huge difference between the quality levels of natural stone.
2) The use of a good sealer, such as DuPont StoneTech Professional Salt Water Resistant Sealer
3) How much total water gets splashed on the deck. Some pools get very little use and water rarely gets splashed on the deck.
4) The finish of the surface. If the finish is already rough, then minor damage to the stone will tend to blend in and not be noticeable.

I think that the customer should have as much information as possible to make an informed choice. Ultimately, the customer will have to weigh all of the factors and decide which option is best for them. Of course, being able to afford to replace it, if necessary, is one important factor to consider.

I like travertine and limestone. I just don't think that either is a good choice to use around a salt pool that will get a lot of use where a lot of water will splash on the deck. Many builders won't warranty travertine or limestone with a salt system and require the customer to sign a waiver. And, many stone suppliers also will not warranty travertine when used around a salt pool.

I think that the risk is legitimate, and that it would be irresponsible not to advise the customer about the risk.

Yikes! I just ordered quartzite as my waterline tile. I am in the south and it doesn't freeze much here. Do I need to try to do something else for my waterline? Do you spend much time cleaning waterline tile? We will have a chlorine pool with borates. From reading the posts on this site, I feel like I really am in over my head! I never knew that I needed to do this much research to put a pool in. I don't know anything about how the pipes are laid out, etc. and we live in a rural area with no inspections. We have had the pool gunited and are waiting to start tile and coping. Do you recommend having the gunite pressure tested since its not going to be inspected? This is all getting more stressful than I had planned :roll: :x :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.