Can I downsize pump motor, keeping the same housing/strainer

Lando

Jun 1, 2011
Florida
My pump motor is oversized for my pool. I currently have a 1.5hp, I would like to go down to the 0.75hp. My question is, can I replace the pump motor while keeping my existing housing/strainer? I read somewhere that I will have to change out the impeller to match the smaller pump size.

I would rather not disconnect the piping, but if it makes the most sense to buy a complete new pump I will do that. Any thoughts?

Re: Can I downsize pump motor, keeping the same housing/stra

You can change it as long as you change the impeller to match the new motor SFHP. While you're changing it you could go with a 2-speed model and that'll save you even more. If ou wanted to keep the impeller you could stick with a 1½hp model and still save a lot.

Re: Can I downsize pump motor, keeping the same housing/stra

You could put the smaller motor and impeller in, but by the time you add in the seal kit / etc - you'll probably find it more cost effective to just replace the pump (maybe put the old one up on Craigslist ? )

You can find some above ground pumps that are self priming of your desired HP for around $200 -$250 that would work well for your situation. The Pentair Dynamo or the Hayward Powerflo II should both work just fine for your use - I was using a 28 year old powerflo II (without strainer) on my inground pool that is twice the gallons of yours with no problems until I got my replacement Superflo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.