hayward heat pump fan motor failure

induce

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
I have a 3 yo hayward heat pump model HP21002. It has been flawless and well built. In fact, it is our second one of this type, as we had a pool at our old house that used this heater when it was built by EUS.

It seems the fan motor is going bad. the fan is dragging on start up or not spinning at all. if you give it a push with a long screwdriver, it will spin on up and run fine. I found all this after a "LP" fault code.
Any chance easy fix without replacing motor?

Is this part user changeable? Do i need a Hayward motor? (part # hpx11023564) or could i go to local electric motor company and use different (less expensive) motor?
average price for Hayward is $150 new.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Cal

There may be a start capacitor on the fan motor. If thats bad, it will cause the fan motor to act just as you described. I had the same type of thing happen on my Aquacomfort. Fan motor was slow/dragging; i could use a screw driver to push it along to start it spinning. It ended up being the start capacitor and not the motor itself. I'm not saying this is whats causing your issue, but it might be a place to start looking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.