CYA hard to test with TF-100 ...tips ?

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hi guys. I have tried to test the CYA a few times with my TF-100 kit. I can ALWAYS see the black dot in the bottom of the tet tube and I KNOW thre is CYA in my pool.
I have done this test after the CYA has been in there for at least a week. Furthermore I know there is CYA because the chlorine is holding. What am I doing wrong ?

With the CYA test, it can be difficult to get a precise reading, but the test is very reliable about giving a rough answer. If you can still see the black dot even when the tube is completely full then CYA is 20 or lower. This result is normally called a CYA of zero, but that doesn't mean CYA is exactly zero.

Here is a brief review of the procedure: mix equal amounts of pool water and CYA reagent (normally done in a mixing bottle with the levels to fill to already marked). Mix for at least 30 seconds, longer if the pool water is cold. Pour into the view tube until the black dot disappears.

You can cross check the CYA test result with what percentage of your FC level you lose over the course of a sunny day. With CYA around 20, most pools will lose more than 75% of their FC level over the course of a sunny day. The amount lost varies quite a bit depending on just how much sunlight reaches the pool, so this is only a rough guess. Still, if you are losing say less then 50% of your FC level in a day, something is going wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.