pool pump makes humming noise and does not pump

Man, ran into a similar issue yesterday...for awhile the pump would hum for a couple seconds then turn over. Now the pump just hums. I pulled the capacitor and tested and it seems fine. I put the multimeter on 20k ohms, then switched to 20VDC and I could see voltage dissipating after charging it on ohms.

I disassembled the pump end and roatated the impeller and it turns easy enough. I tried to "bump start" the motor with the pump case off, still a hum. The impeller did rotate about a half inch though. I turned the breaker on then rotated the impeller with the the case off when and the pump still wouldn't turn over, just a hum and then a trip on overload.

I also rotated the shaft via the governor (behind the switch) on the motor end and the shaft was able to be rotated.

Is my motor shot? Doesn't seem like a capacitor problem and the shaft and impeller are rotating.

Just want to add that I, too, found one day that turning on my pump I just got a humming noise and, after making sure that it was adequately primed and still would just hum and not pump the water, I searched and found this thread which suggested the probably cause was the capacitor. I followed the instructions (cut the power at circuit breaker, found that impeller could be turned, opened side by the electrical cord and carefully disconnected the capacitor, discharged it with the insulated screw driver, tested it with a volt meter (just 0 reading)). Searched online for the model number and found it on Amazon for $15, it arrived in just a few days, I carefully connected it just like the original was connected, reassembled the cover on the pump, flipped on the power at the circuit breaker, turned on the pump and it worked!

Thank you for this forum!

Just wanted to say how greatful I am to find this site, i went to turn my pool back on to run over night and heard the dreadful humming noise, i thought my pump was shot...just before a holiday weekend with people coming over saturday, the only place local that had pumps wanted close to $500 for them, went and got a capacitor today $21 and its working perfect Party saved thanks everyone on here for the input!!

Just wanted to say how greatful I am to find this site, i went to turn my pool back on to run over night and heard the dreadful humming noise, i thought my pump was shot...just before a holiday weekend with people coming over saturday, the only place local that had pumps wanted close to $500 for them, went and got a capacitor today $21 and its working perfect Party saved thanks everyone on here for the input!!
Glad to hear things worked out well for you. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Once again, THANK YOU TFP!! Walked out to a humming pump the other day, quick google search led me to this thread. A $33 dollar capacitor later and it was up and running again! Super easy to fix ~ took me longer to drive to get the capacitor than it did to actually remove & replace it!

I had the exact same symptom - humming sound and no water was flowing. Fortunately, in my case, it was just that there were too many leaves at the bottom of the strainer basket stopping the flow of water. No capacitor needed. I thought the worst (time to buy a new pump/motor) and came here for help. This site is great! Thanks for sharing the information and building this community!

My pump is doing the same thing with the humming/buzzing and after reading thru this entire post and others and videos, etc: shaft / impeller move FWD/BWD nicely, no debris as the equipment is all housed indoors, changed to a new capacitor and the humming is still present and nothing is pumping. HELP. What do I try next? Do I call the service tech? or is my motor shot?

Update: after reading about moving the shaft, I thought I would try it ... again. ITS PUMPING! However, its LOUD and chugging (lack of a better term). It doesnt sound like it did since install with the original capacitor genteq 27L1358. Installed JARD 12717 as reviewers said it was a match for the genteq. Im just glad its pumping as the water is 72 and a bit chilly when avg is 87.

Concern: it ran for 15 min and I checked on it and the pump is HOT - hot enough you cannot keep a hand on it. I fear this is not normal. I turned the system off until I get a reply on whether this is concerning or not. I would think the motor would shut itself off if it were to overheat and throw the fuse or something. Pool temp went up 1 degree - only 14 more to go.

Looking for feedback from you expert pool people.

Last edited:
Concern: it ran for 15 min and I checked on it and the pump is HOT - hot enough you cannot keep a hand on it. I fear this is not normal. I turned the system off until I get a reply on whether this is concerning or not. I would think the motor would shut itself off if it were to overheat and throw the fuse or something.

In the same boat as you are. New cap and wet side rebuild. Mine will sometimes start, not others. I'm thinking the motor has cooked/shorted some windings and is operating with high current/low torque.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, Like others I had the hum and tripped breaker, replaced the capcitor and now pump turns, but seems like it's way slower than before. Any suggestions where to look next? Century B625 booster pump for pressure side cleaner

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.