I just met with a pool builder for the first time...

jackty

Jan 18, 2011
West Tennessee
I met with a pool builder today based on a lot of recommendations from local folks with pools. I mentioned that I wanted a salt water system and he said that he could do that but his parts wouldn't be under warranty then. He said that in a vinyl pool if the salt water gets behind the liner then it will erode the steel walls of the pool (he showed me pictures). He said that in a gunite pool it will erode anything that is metal (screws, caps, I don't know everything he said). Needless to say, he's not a fan of saltwater pools.

His company puts in a Zodiac Nauture2 Mineral Sanitizer. He swears that this way is the BEST way for either type of pool.

Thoughts? Advice? we aren't sure if we building gunite or vinyl. Right now we are getting both priced out. Tomorrow I meet with a different pool builder.

Thanks so any input.

Hmmm....not sure of this pb. Their mentioning not liking a swg then suggesting an intellichlor seems silly. As far as I know the intellichlor is a swg :lol:

Also, others can talk with direct experience, but the nature2 he mentioned, imo should be avoided at all costs. Use the google search at bottom left of page and google Nature2.

linen said:
Hmmm....not sure of this pb. Their mentioning not liking a swg then suggesting an intellichlor seems silly. As far as I know the intellichlor is a swg :lol:

Also, others can talk with direct experience, but the nature2 he mentioned, imo should be avoided at all costs. Use the google search at bottom left of page and google Nature2.

I edited my original post. He does not use any SWG, it was just something in his packet of material b/c so many people ask him about it.
So yeah, he recommends using the Mineral system as a stand alone product.

Hopefully others will chime in who have had the nature2 :whip: but from what I have read, it adds copper, which can stain and turn blond hair green. No need for copper with a properly chlorinated pool. I think you should find a new pb who is not adverse to a swg since, unlike the nature2, you can find tons of people with only good things to say about them (me included). This is unscientific, but looking at these boards (and the poolforum boards) problems with corrosion are rare...something like 1-2 cases in 1000s. I think the benefits outweigh the very small risks.

N2 adds silver and copper ions, neither of which has the kill times of chlorine. Wasted money.

Water on steel = rust.
Water on galvanized steel = rust later
Water on stainless = $$$$$$$$$$$$
Water on resin panels = water on resin panels. Nothing happens. Not good for heavy clay fill though as it swells, potentially causing a crack in a panel (Rare but...)

Adding sacrificial zinc anodes helps prevent corrosion.

Stainless for dive stand bases and hardware, plastic covered rails, ladders, and cups = no rust.

Salt systems rock.

Meet more builders.

Scott

Have you considered a fibrglass pool? We didn't really consider it when we first started shopping, but that's what we decided to buy after all was said and done. No rust with fiberglass and no refinishing like I understand you have to do with gunite. Also no liner to worry about tearing or replacing. If you want to dive, SR Smith makes a salt friendly dive system. We have one and there are 8 bolts that are steel. Everything else is fiberglass board, base, & springs. Had ours since Jan it gets heavy use and no rust so far. I'm sure you'll hear pros & cons from others as well. I agree with Pool Guy, meet more builders. The economy is not booming like it once was, so they need you more than you need them right now. Also, since temps will be dropping soon, time is on your side unless you really really want to swim in these next few weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.