Not be able to generate anymore chlorine

Let us know if you need anything else and please keep us updated on the progress. We are more than willing/eager to look at test numbers! I know I have said this already, but I wouldn't use the swg during the process, it really does not help get the pool the FC levels you need and hold it there.

Ok, thanks. Do you know if algae would plug cartridge filters. I have problems with high pressure on the filter. I have cleaned them twice but pressure is about 12 psi higher than when I started the pool.
Yep, it is time to shock your pool. Even though your water is "clear" the cartridge filter is plugging up because you are killing algae in your pool.

Shock your pool by following the precise directions up in Pool School. You may leave the SWG on during this process if you wish (although I wouldn't) but do not rely on it to provide any of the chlorine needed.....do that with Clorox.

Speaking as an Intex owner, I have an Intex SWCG and my cells quickly get crudded up with white calcium. This will prevent chlorine from being generated. Check your manual - you have to remove the cell assembly, soak it in vinegar until clean then reinstall it. I have to do this about every month as we have very hard water.

just read the message about checking the salt cell for calcium so I didn't have a chance to do that yet but I got my water sampled a Leslie's.
Free chlorine 1ppm
total chlorine 1ppm
ph 7.6
TA 100
CYA 100
Calcium hardness 300
Salt 2600

I added a bag of salt today. Shocked the pool friday, saturday and sunday. Chlorine was high and came back down by Tuesday. Been running pump 10 hours with salt system at 75 percent to maintain a 1 ph. Increased it to 85 percent today. Guess I will see what happens with the addition of salt and will check salt cell tomorrow. Very new to this and very confused.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
what I dont understand is that the levels didn't drop at night while the pump was down. It went down two days later during the day while the pump and salt cell was running. Pool is crystal clear and my filter is no longer plugging up. Don't think it is an algae problem.

As a minimum, I would do a OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Lost test) to be sure you are algae free. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test You will find many posters on here who thought they problem was gone, but it wasn't. This way, you can know. When doing the OCLT, turn off you swg. If you can raise your FC level up close to shock level to make sure you see the problem if there is a problem.

Just de-calcified my cells last night. Had to leave it in vinegar ALL night long for it all to dissolve. (it's a very weak acid...hmmm...I wonder if Lime Away is safe to use for this purpose....)

Anyone know if a clean and clear plus 320 filter is the right size for a 14,000 gallon pool with hot tub. Having to clean the filters once a week because the pressure goes up 8psi and losing flow over the waterfall. Has a 1.5 hp challenger pump. I can't believe it is normal to clean this often. Water is sparkling and running pump 10 hrs a day.

1. Not sure about the filter size being adequate....what is the flow rate of the filter?

2. That's a pretty big pump for your pool but mostly unrelated to your issue.

3. If your filter is plugging up too quickly, you need to find out what is plugging it. The most common source is unseen algae that you are killing but not completely enough to stop it's regrowth.

Again, this is unrelated to your issue but your filter and pump match one another fine. It's a little bit large for your size pool but the only downside is a small increase in electrical consumption.

I have absolutely no input as to the source of the "stuff" that's clogging it unless it is algae. Got a LOT of dirt blowing in from somewhere? What does your cartridge look like when you clean it? Once weekly is probably too much for your filter to require cleaning.

That said, I can't see there is any fault with filter or pump, they are doing what they are supposed to do....clean your water. It will stop once you find out what is causing your water to need cleaning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.