Replace a TCell 15 with a TCell 3?

Jun 21, 2010
Need your expertise...

Currently have a 9800 gallon in-ground pool installed July '04 with Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator and a TCell 15

Looks like I have squeezed all the chlorine generation I can with my current TCell 15 and it's time for a replacement -
Current Diagonstic Displays show -
Cell Voltage = 30.3
Cell Current = 0.00
Desired Output % = 80P
Instant salinity = -0.00
Product = AL - 2
Software revision level = R1.32

The "Check Salt" and "Inspect Cell" lights are on and have walked through possible solutions - but I think the cell is dead...So...trying to correctly size a replacement cell - and since I dont have a 40k gallon pool - Is it possible to use a TCell 3 (up to 15,000 gallons) instead of TCell 15 (up to 40,000 gallons)?

Will a TCell 3 be compatible with the controller/software?

Will there be a noticeable difference in performance...ie...cholorine generation...with the smaller cell?

Appreciate any insights, advice or help you can provide.

Won't work. :(
You need software revision 1.5 or higher to use the low output cells.
Even if you had this version, you would probably not be happy with a unit that produces 1/3 of the amount of chlorine that your current cell produces.

If funds are the issue, then consider the GLX-CELL-15 which is the same cell as the t-cell-15 but with only a 1 year warranty.

Before you purchase a cell, move the output % to 100% to see if the voltage, current, and instant salinity change.

PSG

Excellent information as I was not aware that it only required removing a jumper to allow the main board to be compatible with the Aquatrol t-5 cell. :cool:

The rebuild service may also be a cost effective solution.
If you try this service, please post your observations and total replacement time.

thanks

PSG

TCell 15 replacement UPDATE

It's now been 2 years since I replaced my TCell 15 with a refurbished cell I found on Ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goldline-Haywar ... _500wt_922.

So far results have been very, very good. Refurbished TCell 15 is performing as advertised with zero problems since installation. The original TCell lasted almost 6 years and I will post updates on the replacement as warranted.

For the price - you cant beat the refurbished TCell and I highly recommend as I am 2 years in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.