does adding CYA make water cloudy?

tltmom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Urbana, IL
I have been working on pool school/tfp suggestions for my pool for about 1 week. Shocked pool as per TFP and passed OCLT etc. Pool looked sparking this am.
Most recent TF-100 results from this morning
FC = 6
CC = 0
TC = 6
TA = 120
pH= 7.5
I did not do the other tests today, but using my TF-1oo I got these results 2 days ago:
CYA = 45
CH = 260
salt = 3100
My plan was to bring CYA up first, so yesterday I added 1.75 lbs granular CYA, using a sock full in skimmer. Got tired of waiting for it to dissolve so I held the sock in front of a return so it would dissolve. Did the same thing this am with another 1.75 # CYA. Added 2 cu acid to bring pH to 7.4, and I also turned down the SWG because our weather has cooled and we were not going to be swimming much today. I was trying to bring the FC down to 4.

Anyway, now the water has a very slight cloudiness to it. pH=7.4, FC= 4.0 TC = 4.0, CC=0
My question is: did all the CYA make the water slightly cloudy or could there be another problem?

sorry for the long story here but I was hoping the info would help you answer my question.

thank you.

No, adding CYA does not normally make the water cloudy. Nor does anything in your test results suggest what the problem might be. Your TA is a little high, but not enough to cause any trouble.

How does the water look, in more detail? Cloudiness like that is often the start of an algae problem, especially if the cloudiness looks at all green. On the other hand bright white cloudiness is suggestive of calcium clouding.

definitely white cloudiness, and very, very slight. but noticeable to me. i've just gotten really picky now that tfp had my pool looking so good.
i squeezed all the CYA out of the socks, it made white clouds which dispersed with the jets. I guess I was hoping the CYA was suspended in the water. That probably does not make a lot of sense, but I'm really hoping I don't have other problems!

My CH test results from the Tf100 were pretty similar to pool store's (I know, they are often inaccurate)
I have very new plaster (1st year) so I guess it's worth retesting but I am very careful to follow directions when I test.

I did have white cloudy water 1 week ago which is when I found TFP, shocked the pool according to your directions, and started testing for myself instead of going to the pool store.

FWIW when I checked my FC I got 6.0 2 days ago but my ps got 3.4. My TA results are lower than their's as well : I got 120, they got 160. I trusted my own resulst but possibly I am wrong and I do have low chlorine and high TA. My results are very consistent, I double checked.

any input would be helpful. thanks.

When you shocked, did you pass all three criteria?

1) <.5ppm CC
2)<1ppm lost overnight
3) Clear water

If something is consuming chlorine, it'll continue to consume it on the ride to the pool store. I wouldn't put much stock in their chlorine testing. You test right by the pool, your test is accurate.

thank you, frogabog.
I started another topic "urgent CH test question"
sorry, probably should have stuck with this topic.
anyway, I remembered that I was having a major amount of masonry work done about 15 feet from my pool today. tons of dust.
this is probably the problem.
any sugestions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.