LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have replaced probably 1/3 of my water and CYA is still high, maybe it was really high. Anyway test kit says TA should be between 100-120 but Pool Calculator says 80-120 for traditional pool.

Here are my #'s

FC 3
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 80
CH 230 turned light blue/violet
CYA 90

Now Pool Calc says to add 47 oz Baking soda to get me to 100 which TF-100 reccomends. I am afraid if I do that I will mess with my PH. Should I just work on bringing the chlorine up at this time and lowering the CYA?

Re: Should I mess with TA or not

Change your goals in the pool calculator to Trouble Free Pool.

I can't comment on the TF100 recommending TA at 100 but 70-90 is what is usually recommended around here. It is also what will show in the pool calculator goals when you switch from traditional pool to TFP goal settings.

I'd leave TA alone right now. Deal with chlorine and CYA, correct.

My Numbers after the hurricane, should I shock more

So I dumped about 12 -15 inches of water out after the hurricane. I shocked pretty heavy before the storm and after. Water is clear and Pool Rover cleaned the bottom really well yesterday, though his bag had a green tint. My water stayed clear, and is still clear but the slight green scares me, I also added PolyQ 60 before the storm. I am considering closing in a few weeks and don't want to lose the pool now. Today I had more Crud on the bottom, I guess it was stuff just suspended.

Here are my #'s today, don't understand why my CYA stays high if I am just on bleach and have been dumping water.

FC 8.5
C/C 0
PH 7.5
TA 80
CH 180 it turned not blue but a violet at 18'th drop, I added 5 more drops and stayed same color so I assume violet is blue. If 18'th drop turned it blue is CH 180 or 170?

CYA 90 (before I tested 90 as well, but pool store tested 140, up from their previous 120)

I am going to let it run like this and just brush some more. Filter is running 18 hours up from normal 6-7 after the storm. All is well

Re: My Numbers after the hurricane, should I shock more

rjg202 said:
don't understand why my CYA stays high if I am just on bleach and have been dumping water.
Since your CYA is high, it is more difficult to get an accurate reading. Generally speaking +/- 15 ppm is the accuracy of the CYA test up to 90 ppm, above that and the accuracy goes to +/- 30 ppm ( 100 to 200 ppm). It could explain dumping water and still reading high, i.e. maybe your were higher than 90 before, and now maybe you really are at 90. Take a look at the extended directions for CYA testing if you haven't already. Maybe that will shed some light. http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206397

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.