36 inches of rain from Harvey!

Jun 20, 2014
Houston, TX
My pool does not have an overflow pipe so when the rain started getting heavy the water came up on the patio. Not being sure if the water would drain off before it got into the house I went out in the 3 inch per hour rain and emptied it the first time. I then emptied it every time the rain gauge got to 5" (some times less). The rain gauge totals added up to 36.1 inches and I emptied the gauge 8 times. In the middle of this I put in a gallon of 10% pool bleach and added a pound of shock. There appears to be no chlorine now. Lowe's, which carried the chlorine, flooded with 3 to 5 feet of water and I no longer have that source available at this time. I was using 3 inch tablets in a floater whenever I was gone. The bucket that the tablets came in from Sam's Club had a spring loaded ratchet lock located on the inside of the lid. It allowed the bucket to fill up with water. When I took the lid off the fumes were terrible. I put on my chemical filter mask but the fumes still got in my eyes. Can I dump the liquid into the pool?

If you are wondering why the bucket was out in the rain, the answer is Houston humidity. I can't keep it in the garage with my machine tools, it destroyed a wooden shed I build for chemicals and was eating up the hinge and springs of the plastic storage hamper I bought. I know how reactive chlorine is from working at Texas Instruments where they were storing HCl gas bottles in stainless steel cabinets that were rusting and my ID badge clip rusted in two after just three months. The HCl vapor was used to clean the semiconductor silicon slices before doping.

approximately how many tablets were in the bucket? did they all completely dissolve from the water? The tablets contain chlorine and stabilizer (CYA), you probably don't want to put too much of that in your pool at once, but if it's not contaminated with anything else it might be ok to put some in. Since it came from tablets it's not pure chlorine, but I accidentally got a woof opening my old chlorine feeder so I know it can be very overwhelming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.