Does calcium in the water help to condition a pool liner

May 10, 2009
Daphne, Alabama
Ok folks,

Had an algae problem develop when I didn't have the time to devote to our vinyl pool that was needed. The wife took a water sample into the local pool store, and after they ran their test...nothing really surprised me except for the Calcium levels. According to the store people...the calcium levels in the pool are too low for the pool...and that some calcium is required to "keep the liner conditioned". Went back through pool school and the level on one page was 50-300, yet another page said calcium wasn't really necessary in a vinyl lined pool. If I'm remembering correctly...my wife said the level was around 10. I'm hoping someone can please clarify the role of calcium levels in a vinyl lines pool. Thanks a bunch.

Steve

The general consensus on the forum is CH is irrelevant in a vinyl pool (except that you can have TOO MUCH). 250 - 400 is the normal guideline for plaster pools.

I think some members have posted guidelines from liner manufacturers that suggest the need for some calcium but I don't think anyone has ever come up with. "Why?".

That might be a good project for an industrious member to call several liner manufacturers and get their suggestions.

Be prepared to separate the wheat from the chaff as it's not uncommon for the manufacturers themselves to not be up to speed on the subject. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.