Motor on super II dies and I need advice

May 21, 2008
Ridgewood NJ
Super 2 pump with ust1202 motor died(it runs but cuts out after overheating)- 2hp with sf of 1.1. I am thinking about using a 1.5hp or 1hp motor to cut my electricity consumption. Do I need to change the impeller or just the motor and seals. I have a hayward 60sqft de filter, 2 skimmer returns and a main drain with 2 inch pvc, The pool is 30000 ig and the filter pressure measures 18 when clean. If you can recommend a source for purchase it would be appreciated as well.

Usually it is best to match the impeller to the motor. As long as you are replacing the motor, why not look into a 2 speed motor? Low and slow is best for filtering pool water, and high speed is used to mix in chemicals and vacuum. INYOpools.com seems to have decent prices.

When going from a higher sfhp motor to a lower sfhp motor you must change the impeller. When going from a lower sfhp motor to a higher sfhp motor you can leave the impeller alone. It's best to match the impeller to the motor but as long as the motor is as large or larger than the impeller needs it'll work.

So yes, you need to change the impeller. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.