New Intelliflo - Poor flow/circulation

Jun 2, 2011
I am having a terrible time trying to get my new Intelliflo pump to circulate the water.

The symptoms are:
Pump basket only about half full.
Bubbles in pool during priming.
I must open the valve directing water to the spa to get any circulation there. But doing so loses the circulation in the pool.
Cannot get the Hayward Navigator vacuum to operate.

These symptoms change. A day or two after I think I got it figured it reverts back to poor operation.

I have cleaned the filter several times and the flow is a little better for a few days.

My pool is small, about 10,000 gal. with a raised built in spa.

I have not been able to use the pool since installing this pump.

You have a suction side leak somewhere.
Check the skimmer weir to make sure it's moving freely and correctly.
Check the pump strainer basket and clean and lube the seal.
Check the basket drain drain plug(s). Clean and lube them and make sure they have the o-rings on the if they use them.

I checked all of the above. Replaced plug o-rings. Cleaned and lubed basket cover. Skimmer weir moves freely. The only other thing I can think of is the threaded pipe inlet. It does not appear to have a leak but is there a way to check it before I re plumb it?

Thanks

I took it apart and re-plumbed the suction side. At first it looked like it helped. The basket filled to the top. The flow started out better but did not last long. Today the basket is only half full again. Flow is poor.

What am I missing? I am getting very frustrated and am having thoughts of making it a vegi garden.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What happens to the water level in the pump basket when you switch the suction to draw from the spa? If the pump basket fills, the problem is on the pool side. If the level stays the same, the problem has to be at or after the diverter valve on the suction side.

If its on the pool side, maybe the line from the skimmer is partially clogged?

I re-did the plumbing from the pool/spa divert valve to the pump. I think there was an air leak at the intake threads. At first that did not seem to help so I cleaned the Crud out of the filter. Now I have good flow to both the pool and spa and good suction at the skimmer. My Hayward vac. even works. It has only been 2-days so I hope it lasts.

Now that it is flowing do you think my speeds or ok for a 10,000 gal pool with spa:

2-hours at 2000 to get stronger flow to spa and extra skimmer suction followed by 10-hours at 1600 rpm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.