Pool Pump and Heater timer

choots

May 22, 2011
I've recently had a failure of my pool pump motor, and since we were to be travelling that week, I just wanted to get it replaced in a hurry. I ended up finding a $259 replacement that worked fine - I spent about 40 mins pulling the old one out and putting this one in and we're up and running. I also played around with the Jandy pool pump calculator today and realized I probably don't need to run my pump 16 hours a day... and that I'd save some $$ by getting that down to 4-6 hours per day. Hence I'm thinking about automation.

Now I'm regretting spending on the new motor a little since it seems like that was a good opportunity to put a whole new two speed or variable speed pump in there along with automation so I could control the pump better. I've also got a Raypack heater that has a simple digital controller, and a single outdoor switch to both control the pump and heater power. This switch is installed in a plastic weatherproof box mounted on the heater. A 240V plastic conduit supply line comes from the garage electrical panel, and then another conduit line leaves the switchbox to take power to the pump. I haven't looked inside with switchbox/housing, but I assume that the heater wiring just enters through the back of the box to be switched/powered (Again, switch is directly mounted on the side of the heater).

Now, I stumbled on Intermatic pool pump timers and there is a bewildering array of them however... I'm thinking all I really need is a timer to manage the pump and heater and that would both be simple and relatively cheap. With what I've read today, I should be able to spend under $300 (and maybe alot less) and get what I need. However, I've read a few disparaging remarks about the Intermatic timers (like T104R3 or T104P for example). Are these reliable and long lasting? Are there good quality competing products? Which models should I be looking at - do I need one with a heater circuit ($100 or so)? Should I be targeting spending a little more to get something better?

Regarding installation, I could either put the timer housing outside in place of the switch (assuming there's room), or I could think about fishing some additional wiring and putting the timer on the inside wall of the garage (equipment is right on the side of the garage with electrical panel close by). So I would get outdoor or indoor timer with appropriate housing as required, depending on whether I can wire the thing up properly inside.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Choots

Thanks Scott. I've seen their digital models versus their analog clock timer models - are you aware of any difference in performance or reliability? Also, I've seen one with a heater circuit - is this necessary to protect the heater versus just using a simple on-off model? I can't believe how many versions there are...

Since it will only be programmed to run at certain times of day, when one wants to use the pool cleaner or manually vacuum the pool outside those times, is there an easy way to bypass the timer and turn on the pump without changing the timer settings? My wife will want to be able to do this easily, and any messing around with the unit will most surely mean I'll have to reprogram/reset it. Is there a way to wire the existing switch so it will turn on the pump but not interfere with the timer (i.e. not shut it off)?

Thanks,
Choots

Intermatic Part numbers given:

Enclosures Choose 1: Metal 2T511GA or Plastic 2T2485GA

Timer mechanism : T104M201 240V with heat delay
T101P201 120 V "" "" ""

The heat delay trips 15 minutes before the timer shuts the pump for a 10 t0 15 minute cool down period.

Keep the sweep on it's switch for manual operation. Lets keep it simple.

Scott

Choots, I've used TightWatt digital timers for three years and love them. I can program them to run the pumps for different amounts of time according to the season. The timers know the date and vary the run times on their own. I simply tell them how many summer hours to run and how many winter hours. They do the rest. Email me at [email protected] for a schematic diagram which also shows my inexpensive freeze protection using a KKontrol greenhouse thermostat.

Robolt

I have an Intermatic P1353ME timer and love it. I have had it about 2 years now. I'm able to run my pump, SWG and cleaner from it. They guy I talked with at Intermatic was very helpful and explained that the analog ones will probably go away soon so I decided to keep up with technology! I can also get a remote for it at some point if I want. I have it set to run at 2 different times for 4 hours each...very convenient! I also have a freeze protection sensor on it. I was a little nervous the first year thinking it may not come on at the 35 I had set it for but it has every time. Once you have the times set up, yes, you can turn it on and off without changing the timers.

Just my 2 cents! :wink:

That's helpful info on the digital timers - thanks to both of you.

Is there a similar version to the P1353 ME with only two circuits? I have only the heater and pool pump to control at present and I'm assuming that would be cheaper.

Also, I have limited space, and I wonder will this controller fit in the same enclosure as the analog timer? Rated for outdoors? The larger enclosure I see usually with this controller is too big for my application.

thanks

Choots

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.