Vacuuming to waste after successfully shocking pool

Jul 7, 2011
N. Ga Mountains
OK, I shocked the pool and passed the OCLT test. My water is sparkling clear. Because I had so much crud on the bottom and because my cya was at 100, I vacuumed to waste so that I could rid the pool of the dead algae and also add clean water . I have now done this 3 times in 2 days and have the cya down to 85. It was well over 100. Here is my question. I am still getting brownish crud lieing on the bottom of the pool after it has been off at night. Do I keep vacuuming to waste until I am rid of it or should I just vacuum thru the filter? I am using the BBB method, no more dichlor for me!. The stairs no longer have green coming out of them . My water is as follows :
FC=17
CC=0
TC=17
PH=7.5
TA=110
CH=150
CYA=85
Temp=86
How long should it take for all the dead stuff to settle out of the water? Thanks in advance for your help here. I just don't want to keep throwing out water if it isn't necessary.

I would since you should still be lowering the CYA. 85 is still too high except for the desert south west and long periods of direct sun. Unless you have a salt cell, you would need to keep your FC at 7 or 8, a fairly significant level, cost wise. With a salt cell, it's 5 or 6. Shocking levels are very high and cost more to get to.

The crud usually gets knocked into suspension when you vacuum too fast. Slow down a bit.

Scott

I kinda expected to hear that answer. Although I actually do vacuum very slowly because I don't like the crud to float up. I live in Georgia so it's pretty warm but I do think I still need to get the cya down. Had I only begun with the BBB method , life would be a dream...but then again we live and we learn, hopefully! LOL Thanks for answering so quickly!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.