Going on vacation, what to do to prep the pool?

jenlop

Jul 4, 2011
Central Connecticut
We're going on vacation tomorrow and will be gone for a week. The pool is finally is nice shape!! :mrgreen: I did bring my 3 year old in the pool the other night. There is still some dead algae (and probably dirt?) on the bottom of the pool. I vacuumed to waste the other day and we've been trying to fill the pool gradually since. I only just a few minutes ago had enough water in the pool to turn the filter back on. Water is very clear though.

I'm wondering what I should do to the pool before we leave. Here's my current levels.

FC 2.0
CC 0
TC 2.0
pH 7.2
T/A 90
CH 180
CYA 30

I obviously need more chlorine, regardless of going on vacation. What I'm not clear on is what FC level I should try to hit, since we'll be gone for a while and won't be able to check it. If it makes a difference, it has been hot here, temps in the 90s, expected to break and be in the 80s most of the time we are gone. I have 4 182 oz bottles of bleach available. 1 bottle will only get me to 8.5 FC, which I'm thinking isn't high enough. Think 2 bottles would be good? That should get me to 15...

Thanks! I think I'll put in 2 bottles to bring it up to shock value, then put the solar cover on. Can I use floaters with the pool cover on? I'm hoping I'll be able to get enough water in there to run the filter while we're gone, but I'm not sure I will... :?

You might try a timer on an outdoor faucet for adding water; they're inexpensive and I've had good luck with mine. You set it while you're home to fill the pool at night when there's little demand from the house and also to add water while on vacation. Be sure and check the flow rate and time accordingly; I once wasted a lot of water from a stock tank while on vacation. :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.